Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 75 gallon Tank that is currently stocked with 30 Demasoni juvies. They are in the 1.25 to 1.5 inch range. I have read they will reach around 3 inches when grown. I have plenty of rock structure in the tank and so far not to much aggression. They have been living together now for about 1 month. The tank is well cycled with good water quality. I was thinking about adding 8-10 yellow labs about the same size to the tank. I have read that these two get along fairly well and I'm not really expecting any aggresion issues. The tank is filtered with two (2) Eheim classic 2215's. I do weekly 25% water changes religously. My question is.... Will this be too much once these fish reach adulthood?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
No I wouldnt think there would be a problem with whether the filters themselves can handle the bioload, but with that many fish your Nitrates would be climbing rather fast. You would have to being some several large WC's prob to keep them in check.

Do you plan on weeding out the rejected males from them once they start to show? My dems were all fine together until about close to the 2 inch mark then you can see the aggression really start to ramp up amongst the same species males. I would think if you get down to about 20 - 25 Dems, and then prob only will have to remove a couple labs and you will be fine as long like I said you find a WC schedule that will keep the Nitrates in check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I do plan on removing any of the Dems that have been rejected. At the stage they are in now its really hard to tell who's who. I am really enjoying these guys. I wanted to add some Yellow Labs just have a little different colors. So you think 20 or so Dems and 4-6 Labs is more reasonable? I work 3 days on and 3 days off and always to manage to do a water change on my days off. So the water changes are really closer to every 5 days rather than weekly like I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
176 Posts
TwoJays said:
Thanks for the reply! I do plan on removing any of the Dems that have been rejected. At the stage they are in now its really hard to tell who's who. I am really enjoying these guys. I wanted to add some Yellow Labs just have a little different colors. So you think 20 or so Dems and 4-6 Labs is more reasonable? I work 3 days on and 3 days off and always to manage to do a water change on my days off. So the water changes are really closer to every 5 days rather than weekly like I mentioned earlier.
I just set up 55g dem tank and I'm hoping to end with 16-20 dems 6 labs and 6 Cynotilapia sp. Hara and I've been told thats good so you shouldn't have a problem

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I'd go with the 30 and 8 and see how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts