Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the cheapest way to heat an 800 gallon plywood tank? I was thinking an 5000 watt hot tub heater. or maybe a 40 gallon residential hot water heater? I will not pay a thousand dollars for a heater. Please give me some ideas.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hot tub heater sounds like the best option. Especially with the abundance of "discount pool supply" companies.

Here is a quick search.

I'd say the cheaper they are the longer they take to heat, but you're not planning on changing it up and down, so once it's the right temperature you'd be set. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Where is the tank located and what temp is the room. I had a 360 Gallon plywood tank in my basement. The temp was 75 year round so no heaters were needed at all.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
The absolute best and cheapest way to heat an 800 gal. tank is to heat the whole room.
Agreed. And the circulation pumps may do the rest.
Someone help me out here, just curious. Best way = the least complicated or the most efficient and inexpensive?

Or are you saying that if you keep the thermostats around 72-74 degrees in your house, that is warm enough?

If it is the last question, that makes more sense to me.

No doubting you, just curious.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I have 8 six foot tanks in my fish room where the room temp is always at least in the lower 70's. I have mag 24's running in the sumps. I don't use heaters at all. The tanks stay in the upper 70's and higher. In the summer if the AC isn't running to cool things, they can climb well into the 80's. I'd get the system up and running and see what the tank water temp comes up to before I made any decision about method of heating. You may not need anything at all or possibly a 500-1000w heater will do. Or consider some type of small auxillary room heating device as it may be cheaper to run than a system or device that's designed to heat a tank. Fish rooms are sometimes kept warm to avoid using separate heaters for each tank. It's not uncommon.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Kinda off the topic & sorry if I am hi-jacking but what is the absolute warmest the water can be for an extended period without adverse effects on the fish? 85?

I have always wondered about this...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts