Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed my 3.5" male bi-color 500 wouldn't eat at feeding. He also seems to be lingering around in the same place not swimming around much. Other than that he looks normal. All my other fish are fine.I haven't seen any white poop, but I haven't seen him poop at all either.
These are the reading for my tank:
Temp:79 degrees
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: under 5ppm
Ph:7.8
Gh: 250ppm
Kh:180ppm

I do a 50% water change every Wednesday and use tetra aquasafe plus water conditioner. My tap ph is 7.8 so I don't add any buffers.

I don't have any medicine on hand or any pet stores around but I ordered some clout from Amazon last night that will be here tomorrow. Should I go ahead and remove him or just watch him? Should I treat him as soon as the medicine gets here even if his only symptom right now is not eating?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Watch to see feces before treating. I would not use clout in any tank..but definitely not in my main tank since it permanently stains the silicone blue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 10 gallon I was gonna put him in while treating but I've been watching him all day and haven't seen him poop at all. He still looks fine but he's not attempting to eat anything and he's usually the first one darting to the top of the tank when he sees me walking toward it. How long should I let him go without eating before I do something?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same happened to me with my peacock. Started acting lethargic...not interested in food. Always lingering around in same spot. He eventually died and the only thing i can tjink of was that i had 11 new tank mates and he was stressed/bullied. Ill never know what happened to him but symptoms appear similar.

I treates mines for flukes as his body/stomach area looked gaunt/caved in either i was too late treating him or he was simply just bullied.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's my biggest fish and has always been the boss of my tank. I don't think he's being bullied. Even since he's been sick and I've been keeping a real close eye on the tank nobody's been bothering him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you tried soaking food in garlic?

Do that with mines twice a week. They all go bananas for it.

Hope your guy comes round sooner than later. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
If he is not being harassed and he is not skinny and no white/clear and thready feces...you can wait a month.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just wanted to leave an update on my fish. Later that night ( the same day of my last reply) my fish pooped and it was white. I immediately moved him to another tank by himself and treated him with clout for 4 days. Finally when I woke up on the fifth morning he was swimming around the tank ( he had been sitting on the bottom up until this point). I left him alone that day and on day six I offered him some food for the first time since moving him and he ate a little bit so I went ahead and moved him back to the main tank . Today he's back to his old self zipping around the tank with his tank mates and eating good. Thank you everybody for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts