Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a community tank in a 29g. I am thinking about putting in a beta, but the aquarium store I go to told me this is too big of a tank for a beta. His reasoning was that at 29g there is too much water circulation and it will tire out the beta. He did agree that it could work but he suggested going no larger than a 20g. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
There is no such thing as a tank too big for a Beta, or much of any other fish.

I can understand if the tank has too much filtration, especially across the surface, waterflow and all... but too big of a tank? :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was talking mainly about the filtration. His worry was that in any tank 29 gallons or larger the surface agitation would be too much for the beta and stress it out. I'm sorry for not being clear. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I keep an all female beta tank 5.5 gallons with 10x filtration with no problems. It's one filter for a 10g all the way on one side. Should be no problem. Oh and a 20long has the same footprint as your 29. That guy kinda stuck his foot in his mouth. :lol: there is always a still spot behind Hobs if the water level is kept high.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the input, I have a penguin 200 on the 29gallon. I am going to put a beta in a 20gallon and wait on the 29. These tanks are at the school I work for and I have to figure out what is happening this summer before I change too many things.

The beta will be in a tank with plattys and some tetras, does anyone see a problem with this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
your beta will be fine... I keep one in a 20 gallon tall with cherry barbs, kuli loaches, oto cats, and an african dwarf frog.. he has never shown aggression to any of them. I also have a beta in a 10 gallon with assorted guppies and sword tails.. no aggression either... no tank is too big for a betta, however many are WAY TOO SMALL

·
Registered
30 Posts
I disagree. Too much circulation in a betta tank, regardless of the tank size, will stress the fish out. The flamboyant tail acts like a parachute and gets caught in the flow. A stressed fish = a sick fish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
sometimes tetras can nip fins.. unless you have several of each species of tetras (or similar species) they will probobly nip at the beta. If you do have a large enough school of tetras though they should just nip at eachother

1 - 11 of 11 Posts