Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to paint the back of 75 ga. and 20H gal. tanks black and what is the best way to rinse new Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon Sand?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I used 4 light coats of rustoleum spray paint to paint both of my tanks.

Lay the tape upside down to prevent overspray into the tank and tape everything else off.

The key is several light coats instead of 1 or 2 heavy coats. This will prevent runs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used spray engine enamel for my tanks. Its a bit thicker than normal spray paint so it sticks to the glass better

·
Registered
44 Posts
try washing sand in a pillow case or large sealed bed sheet. this holds the sand but water runs right through without losing your sand. :thumb: do this over a tub to see water color. when its clear you should be ok. :thumb:

·
Registered
292 Posts
i used rustoleum...

krylon fusion works well also.

·
Registered
258 Posts
*** used all types of black paint, i found the easy method was ordinary old multi purpose spray cans! cheap and fast (just make sure your lids are on!) :thumb:

acrylic paint is also good cos its like a big plastic sheet when you remove it, it can be peeled off in big strips :thumb:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am thinking of painting the sides of my tank black so that the unfinished edges of my BG, and equipment behind the BG are hidden from a side view

·
Registered
94 Posts
Personally I would use an indoor latex paint and roll it on. Thats what I used but it took about 3 coats to fully cover. Latex is much easier to clean from your roller and if you wanted to change the color later down the road it would be easier to clean off the glass. Also you won't have the overspray as you would from spray paint.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I masked the trim off with tape and rolled the back and sides with black latex paint. Used one of those cheapo one time use mini-rollers. Came out fantastic; very flat, no streaks. The latex paint comes off very easy with a razor blade, too.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have done both the roller and the rattle can.

If done right both methods can be equal.

Also if you are doing it before the tank is filled up ( I hope so ) turn the tank upside down so no paint gets inside and mask the trim off like others have said. Some craft stores do sell paint that etches into glass but I never used it and it is expensive for the size of the cans I have seen.

What ever method I did I made sure to layer primer on as a 'FINAL' coat.

That way you have the paint as the first few coats and then the primer is on the outer most coats protecting the paint from being scratched off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts