Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have white gravel as the bottom in my 55 and was thinking of either switching to black gravel or river rock. I have a jd and gt, if I were to do river rock I would just throw it on top after cleaning it.
Please give me suggestions on the color and how to change gravel out?!
I do have a spare tank I could house my fish in, but I'm afraid I'll lose all the bacteria from my 55 if I redo the gravel....
Thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
You can scoop the old stuff into a mesh bag and leave it in the tank with the new stuff for a while until the bacteria is established on the new stuff

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Riceburner said:
I just make sure the filter cycle in in between cleanings and just scoop out the old and add the washed new.
Thats what I did when I made the switch to sand. Your filters should house enough of the good stuff to keep your tank cycled. Just don't add any more fish or anything to increase the bio-load for a few weeks after and keep an eye on your test in case a WC is in order to correct anything till it gets a chance to catch up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I just didn't clean my filters for an extra couple weeks and put some of the current gravel in a pair of womens panty hose tied off and put that into the extra space in the filter just incase. Then I just emptied about 3/4 the water out of the tank and started scooping the gravel out with a cup. Then I just put the cleaned sand in and filled the tank back up and within a couple hours all the sediment and stuff settled to the bottom and I turned the filters back on and everything was good to go. I left my fish in the tank while I did this and was just careful to get the water back to the proper temp before adding it back to the tank since I was replacing such a large amount of the water. Never did get a spike in ammonia or nitrites after doing it like this. I also had some pretty hardy fish in there when I did it I don't know if I'd try it this way with sensitive fish.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any suggesestions on the color choices of black or river rock? Like I said, I have white gravel and set my tank up like this before I knew white would bleach colors out of fish. My dempsey is pretty dark most of the time, but I guess darker gravel brings out better coloring? Does anyone have pics of a dempsey in either river rock bottomed tanks or white?
I want the best coloring of my fish and I have been impressed so far even with a white bottom...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts