Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to tear down my 55gal and I have a lot of texas holey rocks covered with algae.
I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to remove algae from texas holey rocks.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would soak first in bleach, then scrub. The bleach will kill the algae and makes is come off easier. Truth is , I learned to live with the "natural" look. When bleaching, rinse well and then let totally air dry before putting back in the tank.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just let nature take over the rock it does look more natural. keepers choice though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I'm in the process of removing a few pieces of rock at a time, and I've soaked them in bleach over night.

What do I do now? How can I make sure that the bleach isn't gonna leech out of the rocks when I put them back into the tank?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
4pokguy said:
well, I'm in the process of removing a few pieces of rock at a time, and I've soaked them in bleach over night.

What do I do now? How can I make sure that the bleach isn't gonna leech out of the rocks when I put them back into the tank?
Rinse them thoroughly then put them in a bucket of water double dosed with a good dechlorinator like Prime etc... for 24 hrs or so. Then allow them to dry completely.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i dont take risks with bleach thats just me. hope you get the algae off! :fish: :dancing: :? :zz: :oops: :D :) :( :eek: :x :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
As long as you don't take the rocks out of a bucket of bleach and throw them in the tank, it's perfectly fine. A lot of people including myself have used bleach for years with no ill effects. Just need to make sure everything is rinsed and dried. Chlorine once it dries, turns into a gas and quicky dissipates.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The fables about bleach are right up there with the "birther" questions! Since it has been in the water we drink and use for our tanks most places, I have never understood why there is concern about dealing with it. Most of us deal with it every time we fill our tanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts