Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to fishkeeping and have made several mistakes - more recently, buying a vieja and RD when I only have a 55 gal long. I didn't account for how big they will grow and their very aggressive tendancies. What can I say - it was a dumb move. I don't think the LFS will take these fish back, though I haven't tried yet. I'm willing to give them back with no refund.

My question is, if the LFS won't take them back, what is the best way to find them new homes?

I don't want to keep just one fish in my tank. I'm thinking I could keep my full-grown JD separated in part of the tank (he has been ok with the space he has), and get some less aggressive and colorful fish for the other half. If so, I'm open for recommendations.

Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Create a thread on MFK and post them for free. NY is a popular location (along with SoCal) so it would probably take a day, maybe two to get someone to take them off your hands.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Don't divide your tank with the jd in there. If you want a community get rid of the jd too. He will get cramped in a small space. Plus its like wanting something really bad and being able to see it but not get to it. It's a little unfair to the jd. He is gonna stare at the fish on the other side and wish he could eat them . Eventually he might jump the divider or worse jump out the tank.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi bluenapG,

I agree with Flippercon that dividing the tank is probably not the best long term solution. But i also think you should keep you JD. You can build a community tank around your JD. Some pissible options of cichlids that could live with your JD are salvini, firemouths or convicts.

Thanks,
Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts