Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 150g sitting on my family room's floor. It is very heavy, and Im wondering what's the best way to lift it up to the stand with limited menspower?
Any past experience that works nice for your project?
Thanks for sharing.

·
2,088 Posts
Easiest way is to bribe other guys with pizza and beer. (hold the beer til after the tank is in place)

I have a 150 also, which according to AGA weighs roughly 315lbs. It has successfully been moved 4 times with only two guys. I would never put the tank on the floor, as the hardest part of the lift is getting it up off the floor - but, if I was coming over to help you with yours, I'd bring a dolly to lift the tank slightly to place a 2x4 under each end (note that you want to be careful not to put pressure on the glass). Once each end is off the ground, just lift it with one guy on each end.

·
Registered
332 Posts
^^ The above works.

I believe that I have read on Glasscages that they recommend, not thinking of the word at the moment, giant suction cups to move tanks of this size. I think they are like $70-80 each but might be worth it if you have a large tank that you might move several times.

Picturing it in mind this would help get the tank off the ground and help you lift it higher.

I put my 120g on its stand by myself and the hardest for me was getting it onto the stand. Probably because I was doing it by myself, but eh.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, sounds like you guys are much stornger than me, obviously ;)
Thanks for the good advices, I guess I just need to get more beer and pizza. Maybe playoff games will be an extra bait too.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
One trick that will help but it still takes muscle is making the tank easy to grip. A couple 2X4's worked under the tank make it much easier to get a good hold. Depending on how high and how far it might be worthwhile.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You'd be amazed how easy it was to lift my 110 Oceanic with sapphire glass using this thing. The tank weighs around 280# and my brother in law and I move it like it was nothing. My wife and I also move a loaded bookcase with it.

EDIT: I forgot the link.
http://www.uline.com/BL_7912/Forearm-Li ... 4AodTV2kog

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sjnovakovich said:
You'd be amazed how easy it was to lift my 110 Oceanic with sapphire glass using this thing. The tank weighs around 280# and my brother in law and I move it like it was nothing. My wife and I also move a loaded bookcase with it.

EDIT: I forgot the link.
http://www.uline.com/BL_7912/Forearm-Li ... 4AodTV2kog
COOL!
I have ordered 1 already!
This is what I have been looking for.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zimmy said:
humsuplou said:
I have ordered 1 already!
Don't you need 2?
Really??? I have no idea how this works at all, so just ordered one pair. Is 1 pair enough? Or do I need 2 pairs?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize they were sold in pairs. One strap by itself wouldn't be all that helpful.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
zimmy said:
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize they were sold in pairs. One strap by itself wouldn't be all that helpful.
Ok, just wanna make sure. :)
But thanks for tying to remind me though.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think it depends on the age of the tank too, older tanks were built using thicker glass. I have a 110 tall and that thing was back breaking to move, even with a dolly. No idea how we even got it in the house with two of us.

Never tried lifting straps, but I heard they work great. TV told me so. :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RRasco said:
I think it depends on the age of the tank too, older tanks were built using thicker glass. I have a 110 tall and that thing was back breaking to move, even with a dolly. No idea how we even got it in the house with two of us.

Never tried lifting straps, but I heard they work great. TV told me so. :p
Mine is an older one with thick glass :eek:
That's why I was asking for help :)
Hopefully the strap works its magic.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Please post an update on how they work out for you. I'm curious to know how easy it is to maneuver the straps under the tank when it's on the floor and then out when it's on the stand.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
humsuplou said:
Mine is an older one with thick glass :eek:
That's why I was asking for help :)
Hopefully the strap works its magic.
Good luck with that. I'm hesitant to buy another big tank b/c of the weight, but I still want a 180+. I'm banking on new technology to lighten things up for me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Acrylic will be much lighter,right?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Conclusion:
The strap didn't work really well for me.
So what I did was using one of the suction cup thingy that i bought, to lift up the tank a placed a 4x2 under the tank. 4 of us then lifted it and placed it on the stand.
That tank is over 300 lbs for sure. Old glass tank.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
According to this, your tank empty is 338lbs. Says mine empty is 228, which I believe, and I also had 4-5 inches of crush coral that came in the tank. So i know exactly how you feel.

http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RRasco said:
According to this, your tank empty is 338lbs. Says mine empty is 228, which I believe, and I also had 4-5 inches of crush coral that came in the tank. So i know exactly how you feel.

http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm
Holy smoke....
hard to imagine the plywood stand can take over 1000 lbs of weight after its filled with water, oh wait, will be adding rocks and other stuffs too. 1500lbs maybe? :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts