Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna be setting my tank up soon and i have been trying to figure this one out in my head for awhile now but cant seem to figure it out

what is the best way to fill a tank with a sand substrate with water and not have the sand go everywhere

any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
877 Posts
i have pool filter sand so i just shut off my filters and pour the sand in. it sinks right to the bottom after a few seconds. once its all down i turn the filters back on.

if you arent using pool filter sand i would take out as much water as possible and shut off the filters and wait til it settles. then once you have all the sand in, put a plate face down on the sand and pour the water back in on top of the place so it doesnt stir up the sand.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Okay here are some tips.

1. Remove all fish. Turn filters off.
2. Fill tank with 2 or 3 inches of water.
3. Add Sand Slowly. (ensure its been cleaned)
4. Take a regular dinner plate, flip it upside down, and when you fill the tank pour water onto the plate. This prevents the sand from goingeverywhere.
5. Let tank sit for 1 hour.
6. Turn filters on, should clear up in a few hours.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's what I did - Turn off the filters and/or power heads. Rinse the sand until you're seeing clear water - then rinse it more. Put the sand in a gallon ziplock bag and slowly lower the sealed bag to the bottom and dump it out gently. You'll still cloud the water somewhat, but not as bad as just dumping it in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went about with everyone else except i saved the bags my sand came in rinsed the sand well and put it back in the bags. Then put the bags in the tank and cut them open to just let it settle out of the bag with no water in the tank. Then just a large bowl was placed in the tank and i fill the bowl and let it over flow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i put a bucket of sand in let it fill with water, let it settle then slowely pour out while the bucket is in the tank. heaps faster :thumb: and no clouding. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts