Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Water is a little over 7 lbs per gallon... rock/sand/(saturated)wood is heavier... I round it off to 10 lbs per gallon for water & decor...

It's hard to make a quick reference for the weight of the glass as glass thickness varies considerably...

I looked up glass weights once and found my 4x2x2 120 gal tank weighs around 375 lbs empty... :S

·
Registered
160 Posts
Toby_H said:
I looked up glass weights once and found my 4x2x2 120 gal tank weighs around 375 lbs empty... :S
That seems like a lot. My 90 (48x18x24) weighs 128# empty. Perfecto's 120 weighs 144#. Are you including your stand/hood and or rock or was that just a typo?

Perfecto Aquarium Specs

bulldoghall: How large of a tank are you talking about and how thick is the glass? With that info I'm sure someone here could give a pretty good idea of the weight.[/url]

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I’m not sure if the chart I used was wrong or if my memory is just that bad… or maybe I estimated for wet sand in the 375...

This time I got weight references here - http://www.glasswebsite.com/publication ... 0Glass.pdf

My 4x2x2 120 gal aquarium only weights about 200 lbs…

Thanks for questioning me… :p

Sorry for the misinformation above… :p

·
Registered
497 Posts
My 5/8 glass 255gallon weighs in at 560lbs........ just bought it what a pig!!!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for the information. I am looking into putting a 180 and 115 in the same room on the 2nd floor. My 115 (5ft) is acrylic..

·
Registered
497 Posts
So what you want is their full weights....... pretty much the safe bet is to call it ten pounds a gallon so you are at 2950lbs or close too. there is an article on here about aquariums and weights I think in the library section?????

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks!! I just would like to make sure my 100 year-old hardwood floor can take it.

I might even have a contractor reinforce the floor in the basement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.