Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am very new to the world of cichlid.

I was wondering which would be the best way to clean the gravel, I do change 30 - 40% of the water weekly but my fishes still manages to make the floor dirty in no time :).

Also i have heard that much plants doesn't survive in a cichlid tank? Which ones do u suggest i plant.

I have a 16" (width) X 41" (length) X 24" (height) tank with the following fishes.
3 Parrots
2 Sevrums
2 yellow labs
2 johannis
1 Pecko
3 Red tails

Thanks
ParrotKeeper

G

·
are you using a gravel vaccuum? make sure you dont overfeed alot of the mess in the gravel is from broken down food....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,
I do use the gravel Vacuum pipe but the height of the tank makes it a little difficult as well.

My fishes are used to one time feeding per day.

G

·
you gota get on a chair then or something... in my tanks that have gravel.. i gravel vac every inch of gravel every single week or every other week and just change the water on the off week... but if its a tank that is noticeably dirty in the gravel i break down the tank take everything out once a week and gravel vac every single inch.. otherwise its gonna get way too dirty and your nitrates will be higher than they should.... just a necessary evil... i mean i feel your pain... im only 5ft 6 but ill get on a chair and get my arms wet.. plus i think they make slightly longer gravel vacs get the biggest one they have even if your tank is huge the gravel vac is kinda long.. get in there lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts