Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Vinegar has always worked great for me. If the buildup is really bad just soak a paper towel and stick it on the spots, let it sit for awhile and it should take it right off for you.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You may be able to find a product called 'Lime Off, I believe, in your local fish store. I've used it with no problems. Just rinse well afterward.

i used some spray paint to paint the intakes for my XP3 filters how long should they dry before i put them back in the tank?
Drying time for paint can be affected by many things. The paint should feel good and hard, no tackiness, and certainly no smell. If you can go a few days, I would. If you can set them in a sunny, dry place, then you could shorten the drying time.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If you get the process started in the correct order, waiting for the paint to dry , etc. will not delay you when you are starting a tank. The paint and bleach soak and dry all go very quickly compared to getting the bio cycle up and running. Most of the time I just get the physical cleaning and work done as soon as possible and then it is for sure dry weeks later when the water and filters are ready for the fish. When people ask how long to dry this or that it is hard for me to answer as it rarely comes up as the stopper unless it is an add-on to an existing tank. We talk about waiting and watching paint dry but it's nothing compared to watching bacteria grow!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Regardiing "lime" deposits, I have found an old restaurent trick for cleaning glass coffee pots helps. Make a paste of table salt and a little bit of water and use it to scour using a sponge. My experience was that on really hard buildups alternating scrubbing with salt paste and soaking with white vinegar is better than vinegar only. The salt acts as an abrasive that won't scratch glass like pumice based abrasives will. The final treatment with vinegar water will take care of most salt residue (oxidizing the NaCl to a dissolved salt}, and if a teeny bit is left it isn't going to hurt a cichlid tank.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not a bad way to scratch glass!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Actually that is a tool designed to use on glass. It is a standard tool for painting and getting the paint off glass. I wash the heavy stuff off as much as practical and then for what's really glued on the scraper works well. Just don't twist it up on edge so that the edge digs into the glass.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lestango said:
Not a bad way to scratch glass!
use it all the time to clean the glass canopy on my old tank with no incidents. Finished cleaning my other tank last night with it...no scratches. It's the best method, and fast. :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts