Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stocking my 29 and have gone around with various setups and I'm settling on Sumbu Dwarf Comps.

Looking through past posts it seems like the consensus is to use one or more of the following tank mates:

- Another shelly such as Ocellatus or Multies
- Paracyps (although not everyone agrees)
- Something like a cardinal tetra

Looking for input if you have any. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wouldn't say settling with Sumbu Dwarf Comps,They are awesome fish!! A 29 gallon is a small foot print so I would not have 2 species of shell dwellers in there b/c they will compete too much for shells.I have mine in a 30 gallon with some orange N.mustax with no issues.A group of Paracyps would be ideal tank mates with them.If you want something like a cardinal tetra with them I would suggest Dwarf Neon Rainbows b/c they are fast and like the high pH and hard water.They are not from Africa but would do well and look great with the blue body and red fins.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not settle WITH, settle ON! :)

I have wanted these guys for years, but forgot they exist because they are so hard to find.

Point taken re: another shellie. I was thinking the same thing but had seen it mentioned more than once in past posts.

Mustax, huh, I like that for color. Thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
They are hard to find but well worth it.I had to special order mine from a German order.Their colors can change depending on their mood which is fun to watch.If you build rock caves up in one corner the N.mustax will go all the up into upper parts of the tank while the dwarf comps will stay on the bottom.Small Julidochromis species such as ornatus,transcriptus,and dickfeldi would do well with the comps as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input dmiller.

What do you think about a lone Juli Tanscriptus (I would rather less agression from them so I have happier Sumbu's) and 6 or so cyps?

It's a 29 tall so I'd have to get rid of them and pick up juvi's once they are too large, but it would add aesthetics to the tank.

·
Registered
338 Posts
A lone transcriptus will be get along fine with the Sumbus but without a mate the Julies are known to hybridize with other species such as lamps.The cyps would do well but by the time the males color up they would be ready for a larger tank.Paracyps would be fine even as adults and are laid as it gets for a cichlid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts