Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm expecting a vendor to send me some newly imported wild-caught Neolamprologus mustax adults and N. sexfasciatus juveniles sometime next week (once they've completed his 7-10 day mini-quarantine).

How should I prepare to give them the best possible care once they reach me? Given my water parameters (below), would you use a Tanganyikan buffer, even if only at first? Other considerations?...

water source: private well, potable, high mineral but low iron content
after aging with aeration and heat (started out at 55°F out of the tap)...
temperature: 78°F
conductivity: 500 µS/cm
pH: 8.2
KH: 10° or 179 ppm (dropped from 12° or 215 ppm out of the tap!)
GH: 10° or 179 ppm (dropped from 16° or 286 ppm out of the tap!!!)

I'd really love some knowledgeable advice! Tried to search the subject here and on the broader internet but came up empty. (And the vendor was unresponsive.)

Thanks!

Gerry

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I would match his water parameters and feed what he feeds. Make sure you quarantine them and watch closely for issues so you can treat if necessary.

I have not had issues with wild caught fish.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my original intent, DJR, but after multiple attempts at getting water parameter information out of the vendor all he's said is that his "pH is 8-ish." I'm not happy about it, but even being a pest hasn't produced more. So I figured I'd ask here about best care when I couldn't turn up any guidance online, either.

These will be the only fish I have, the first of my long-awaited return to the hobby. :) So I'll have the isolation part of quarantine, anyway, in place without any effort. But it prompts the question:

What do you consider a good quarantine? E.g. how long? Or how to determine when it's complete if it's not a set period of time? Any prophylactic treatments while in quarantine, or just treat symptomatically? Etc.

But maybe this subject deserves its own thread (after I research here to see what threads already exist on the subject)...

From the sparse information I've gotten from the vendor, I believe all he does for the fish during his mini-quarantine is keep them separate from his other stock and feed them flake food containing metronidazole. Presumably if/when problems appear he also treats them symptomatically.

Gerry

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
That sounds like a good practice...since they are alone you can observe them throughout their stay with you. For tank raised I quarantine three weeks. I would not treat for anything if there are no symptoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.