Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally got the YL/demasoni tank all set up and I'm done playing with it for a while. Right now I have 2 6500k bulbs on it, and it's looking, predictably, yellowish.

I'm thinking of replacing them with a 10000k and an actinic. Too much blue? The blues in the dems are really washed out under this light, and I'd rather them be BLUE and sacrifice a smidge of the yellow on the YL, if necessary.

So 2 bulbs max - suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I found actinics gave me too much algae. I use the Zoo Med Ocean Sun bulbs in my non-plant tanks.

In fact the fixtures I buy somehow always come with actinic bulbs. I rip them out and throw them away. :thumb:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have one 6500k and one actinic. 10000k and actinic was a little too dark for me. Like DJ said, I'm having a lot of trouble with algae and the lighting is probably a major factor, but man do those Dem's colors pop :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
do you guys know which lighting i should use for a reg 55 g tank? i need two lights.. not one long one... i have peacocks, and a SRT group and a cyno cobue group. what lighting should i get? and where can i get them for cheap? thanks a bunch

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I took apart my CF fixture and installed the ballast and fittings into my hood so that's what I'll be running. Currently have a nearly-dead actinic and some replacement (probably 6500k?) in it; still more yellow than I'd like, probably because the actinic is dying. Going to grab a 10000k to replace the 6500k and see how that looks.

·
Banned
406 Posts
do you guys know which lighting i should use for a reg 55 g tank? i need two lights.. not one long one... i have peacocks, and a SRT group and a cyno cobue group. what lighting should i get? and where can i get them for cheap? thanks a bunch
For starters try google, but from my personal experience DONT rely 100% on the pictures unless you have the same exact tank set up.

I bought a aqua-glo and power-glo last week and I got a purplish / pinkish hue in my water and sand, while others have a nice white tank. So I bought a pair of 50/50 bulbs, a 10K bulb and a 420 actinic bulb. Hopefully I'll find the right lighting combo for my tank now. :D

Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have one 6700 and one ablue acitinic in my coral life t5 strip I like the mix but in the end it is up to what you like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.