Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I've had good luck with 50% males but anything down to 30% should work.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
From reading on this forum, I think I must be an exception, but I have more success the more males that I have.

One tank that worked very well back home in Canada had 9 males to 4 females!

My only "fail" was 3 males and 7 females. That might have been too few all in all, or it may have been too few males. No idea...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a group of 27 cyps and doing well with:

18 males (11 yellow tails and 7 blue tails)
9 females

This way the males are to busy with them selfs so the females have a bit more peace ;-)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a low M:F ratio of leptosoma (something line 3:9 or so) in a 75 and the alpha male is a terror. The two subs are totally toned down and the male is constantly harassing everyone. Gonna try to pick up more males sometime soon to see if it helps.

·
Registered
310 Posts
One of the advantages of cyps compared to other cichlids IMO is the fact that the more males you stock the HAPPIER your colony will be it seems. I will say when my group was 6 males and 1 females the lone female was harassed constantly, but since I expanded it to 12males 4 females it has worked great, so many males that they are showing off to each other and flashing constantly, and enough females so they cant pick on one. Breeding for numbers, each female holds once every 2 months or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts