Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just bought a few more things for my Malawi Cichlid tank today and a Veggie Clip :)

was wondering what would be the best and healthiest fresh veggiew to feed the Malawi cichlids ?

please if you can list me the best suited for these fish to eat and why,,... I would like to have very healthy strong vibrant Cichlids :D

kind regards and thank you for your help :fish:

·
Registered
52 Posts
unsalted sushi nori
broccoli
zucchini
peas
carrots
squash
romaine lettuce
any green veggies

make sure its fresh, canned veggies lose nutrients in the water its packed in. remove any uneaten veggie matter from the tank.

for the most fun go with peas. toss em in a couple at a time. peeling them makes it a little easier for them but not necessary.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Spirulina usually will give them the best color, although supplementing that with other varieties of vegetable protein is definitely beneficial. Don't return it! I personally supplement MY diet with spirulina (human grade ;) ) and its horrible tasting! haha so I'm sure your cichlids would love peas and lettuce now and again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
John Doe said:
If you want vibrant healthy africans, the best thing to feed them is new life spectrum. I'd return the veggie clip.
keep it! feeding the same food and only that food becomes boring for them! nls is a great food and i'm not saying not to feed it, but for the behavioural need of the fish offer them different food! it will make them happier and they will show great colors when feeling mentally stimulated by hunting different foods.

+1 typo's list
cucumber is another great one!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW !! :)
Thank you all for the adivse.. so keep a nice variaty of foods mainly veggitarian diet for Malawis and most frsh veggies are OK and will stimulate them eh,.. good to know, I just was worried to give them the wrong veggie if it may harm them ? so I guess any dark greens such as romane lettuce spinach broccoli etc etc are ok

thanks again I appreciate the advise :thumb:

·
Registered
493 Posts
beccam said:
John Doe said:
If you want vibrant healthy africans, the best thing to feed them is new life spectrum. I'd return the veggie clip.
keep it! feeding the same food and only that food becomes boring for them! nls is a great food and i'm not saying not to feed it, but for the behavioural need of the fish offer them different food! it will make them happier and they will show great colors when feeling mentally stimulated by hunting different foods.

+1 typo's list
Feeding certain veggies can be beneficial for malawis, but they are not dependent on them to display certain behaviours or their most vibrant colors. A food like NLS really has more to offer a malawi fish in terms of what they really need, (spirulina, shrimp, etc) than veggies. In my opinion, all you need is a good quality food and it will naturally bring out the best in them. I think it is more for the enjoyment of the fishkeeper, than the fish to feed them things that naturally they do not have access to in the wild.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i fully agree that high quality fish foods contain everything they need, and by no means imagine pieces of cucumber floating around in their home lakes. but they also are not going to be finding pellets everywhere... they feed on what is available and do have to scavenge.so yes a lot of it is for us to enjoy, but the fish have everything provided for them, so they lack that mental stimulation. since their is no harm in giving them the appropriate veggies every once in a while, why not indulge in watching them eat it? but they should have their main diet as a very good quality pellet or flake.
:thumb:

Becca

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nothing wrong with watching or feeding fish veggies, I used to do it a lot, religiously once a week. I just personally feel that they have little nutritional value compared to a good quality food. I came to realise for myself it was a waste of time and money. Im just not a fan of the veggies anymore. I think we humans feel that if something is good for us, it automatically must be good for our fish. However i realise that a lot of people do like feeding veggies. If they feel feeding veggies gives them that mental stimulation that they lack, well thats fine, but again no offense, but I think that it just stimulates us, not the fish. and that the whole veggie thing is overated. My fish never went crazy for any veggies like they do for the Dainichi brand I feed them.
Hey, Id rather eat the veggies myself than toss them in the tank. :thumb:

·
Registered
677 Posts
LOL. My 2 cents.

Feed them all the available great artificial fish foods and also give them veggies once a week.

Do not stick to just 1 diet, keep varying it and the fish will be healthy & vibrant.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Timkat4867 said:
I think that it just stimulates us, not the fish
+1
It's fun for the fishkeeper, but I don't do it any more because of the problem of removing the excess. Take a look at all the veges and fruits in NLS. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The fish have enough to worry about than "what does my food look like today".

My fish LOVE the NLS, they crowd up to the top when they see me even stand up from my computer desk across the room.

They follow people as they walk by - and they're not starved! I feed them twice a day, a good amount too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it bad to over feed then malawi fish maybe 3-5 / day ?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It can be. They can get bloat and it will create a LOT of nitrate in your tank.

Fish can go 3 weeks without eating...

Now, fry on the other hand, I feed 3-4 times daily.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
beccam said:
John Doe said:

+1 typo's list
Not saying anything about feeding veggies, but my mbuna have been getting the same NLS pellets since day 1, and to me the appear the opposite of bored with it! In fact, I'm convinced my fish are very stimulated at feeding time by trying to figure out how to jump out of the tank and land in the jar of NLS! :lol: My fish are never more excited and active and colorful than when it starts getting dark in the room and they know its almost feeding time. During other times of the day, they graze on the algae on the rocks and sift through the sand, or the males chase females and dig spawning pits. In fact, I bought JPC medicated pellets one time I was worried about getting a bloat outbreak. Maybe they sensed the medication or something else undesireable about them, but they wouldn't touch them at all. I swear I was getting glares from them about it. "Hey, this isn't my NLS! Toss in the NLS!"

I'm not saying this is a reason to not feed veggies, I'm just saying that your assumption that the fish will get bored with the same food all the time... well it doesn't seem to be the case. At all.

·
Registered
493 Posts
YELLOWRAVEN said:
You should feed at least once per day, no more than twice... have a day in the week where you dont feed at all, which allows them to clear their system out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Timkat4867 said:
YELLOWRAVEN said:
You should feed at least once per day, no more than twice... have a day in the week where you dont feed at all, which allows them to clear their system out.
That sound right to me proper and healthy,.. :) ..but everytime I go near the tank they all go crazy and give those puupy dog eyes and look like thay want to ffod to be dropped in :(

I guess I should be more strickt and firm and not allow them to pursuade me with their sweet looks,.. lol I will cut down the feedings to twice a day :thumb:

·
Registered
493 Posts
The thing is with Malawis is they are very obnoxious and persistent. If you keep feeding them, they most likely end up with health problems, and your fish will grow unusually large and fat. Ignore them and they will be fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Timkat4867 said:
The thing is with Malawis is they are very obnoxious and persistent. If you keep feeding them, they most likely end up with health problems, and your fish will grow unusually large and fat. Ignore them and they will be fine.
so in perticular do you recomend feeding them seldonly ( 1-2 /day and maybe even a no feed day ? )

regards :fish:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
* seldomly *

1 - 20 of 37 Posts