Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - what are peoples opinions on the best brand for cichlid food???

I use hikari but it seems to be messy for my green terrors cos they chew and spit it all over the tank

So what i'm basically asking is what is good quality and less messy food types??

Thanks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I find Dainichi, Hikari and NLS to be the better foods pellet wise.

For flake I like HBH and Omega One.

It really all depends on what species we're talking about.

Some of the larger fish can be messy eaters. They also tend to produce a lot of waste.

And it's also important NOT to overfeed. When you do that, they tend to play with their food rather than eating it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
We're using Tetra cichlid sticks. They float, fish love them, which makes it hard to overfeed. Sometimes our severums will snag them right out of our fingers. We also feed dried bloodworms and krill.

Big, floating morsels seem to be key, and I feed them one "stick" at a time per fish until they're sick of it. . This limits overfeeding and agression (they don't have to fight for food), it's fun for me, and they eat well. Then I'll throw in some "flake" style food for everyone else in the tank... which the severums like to get in on as well.

I've been hearing bad things about Tetra's "preservatives"... so I'm looking for a better floating cichlid food.

-Ryan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts