Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife has just agreed to let me turn two metal shelving racks we inherited in the garage of our new house into a fish room. Basically one rack can hold 2 four footers and the other can hold 4....plus we are going to squeeze like two tens onto a table in the corner.

I already have a 4' by 15"' by 15''.....and a 4' by 12'' by 20'' hi....and a brand new 4' by 15.5" by 18" I just set up in the house high in the house....I am basically just going to buy 4 more 4 foot used set ups and then stock them.....

I had planned to keep Mbuna in the house tank...spent a lot on a new tank, nice stand, a large cannister, holey rock and black sand....was planning on keeping

L. Carelues
L. sp. 'Hongi' Super red top Kimpuna
C. Afra white top Hara
P. Demasoni Pombo rocks

I am now thinking of taking that tall tank (20" high) and making it an all male peacock/hap tank...and going for a natural river rock look (as opposed to the mbuna moonscape I'm going for in the house) and placing the females in several other tanks in the garage...and then maybe doing two more mbuna tanks in the garage....which would maybe leave one for Tangs or Vics which I've never kept.....or just one for growout though I guess I could use dividers for growouts

I know a lot of you have done this or have thought about it so please let me know how you would break down the tanks...basically five tanks since two displays are spoken for.....

Species I am partial to....

Mbuna: Polits, Msobo, Maingano, Saluosi, Callainos, Flavus, Acei...is there a way to combine these seven species into two tanks?

Peacocks and Haps: A. Stuartgranti (Ngara)...A. Baenschi....A. Jacobfreibergi Otter....Red Empress, Protomelas Steveni Taiwan(taiwan reef)...C. moori, S. Fryeri...O. lithobates(zim rock), Cop Borleyi (red fin)...Phenochilus(tanzania)......

Sorry to ramble but a little excited and i'm planning on ordering fish online for the house display in early june anyways so I'd love to come up with a good stock list....Obviously I would love to turn a small profit but If I can just pay for my hobby by selling some good juvies I would be over the moon. Let me know how you experts out there would break these up and let me know if there are species you think that would be better to breed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'll defer to someone else in regards to combining mbuna. :)

Sorry, misunderstood...The haps and peacocks are going to be in an all-male setup or are you thinking of getting females as well?

Congrats on your newly found fish room! Certainly jealous of you west coasters and the fact you can convert part of your garage into a fishroom! Nice.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The first four are all fairly similar. But to break them up I would think polit and maingano (one primarily blue, one primarily black) and msobo and saulosi in the other. The other 3 could be mixed in how you saw fit. Probably would put the cobalt in the msobo and saulosi tank.

I'm not sure how this would work, but from what I understand females are largely non territorial. So could you house one species of Mbuna with one female tank and one in the other to help disperse the blue/black conspecific problems that could come down the road? I'd choose the two least aggressive of your four blue/black fish with your female Haps and peacocks. It might make for more peaceful, and colorful fish.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so to mokujin 22

I was planning on buying Juvenile haps/peacocks in groups of 3-4 from maybe 3 different online wholesalers to generate diversity...in some cases going for F1 but in others going for obvious line bred strains like German Reds or Super Red Empress that are pretty far removed generation wise. I was planning to stock an all male tank and then keep the excess females in other tanks. I could approach it in two ways...I could just toss males in from the all male tank and only strip the 'correct' females...or I could try to establish a successful breeding group in the other tanks and that way leave the all male tanks delicate balance alone. I'm pretty limited to 4 footers though, as the stands already exist, and you can commonly find cheap 4 foot tanks with a lid, light, some kind of filter, and heater for 50-75 bucks...though you usually need to supplement with an additional filter as most of these deals were not cichlid set ups....I've only bred a handful of haps (red empress, lithobates, fryeri, A. stuarts....) and it was not as easy as mbuna. So I would appreciate any stocking tank set up tips in general for a fish room.

and to Joe

I like your thinking about putting a mbuna group in with hap females...but I thought a breeding mbuna male will likely act territorial towards any other fish....and though other mbuna hold their own, do you not think the females haps and peacocks might not be harrassed. So polits and msobos should be seperated I guess, and mainganos with polits and maybe callainos in with msobos and flavus....I could probably add something reddish in with polits and maingainos....rustys or red zebras.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't think the male mbuna would see the female peacocks as either conspecific or a threat. They just look so different.

You might have some overly assertive male that has a problem with it, but odds are his females would get the brunt first. They might need a tank divider when you move the male Hap/peacock to breed but your everyday community should be okay.

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
I'd think the female peacocks would not get enough to eat and just cower and be unhappy even if the mbuna are ignoring them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the dietary requirements would also be completely different...

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
I wasn't going to post this because I assume you've already considered it but just in case...

It takes some pretty unusual metal shelves to be able to hold fish tanks...have you verified they are strong enough?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are heavy duty metal bracket shelves, you can adjust the shelf height with removable bolts...the wood is 3/4 inch particle board, it seems less saggy than wood sheets...but prone to water damage....I'll probably put a urethane coat on the board and may upgrade to one inch particle board and then reinforce under the boards with two strats running front to back..

I'm not sure exactly how to check if it's coded....I'll definitely go cautiously but overall the structure seems very solidly built.

The bummer is the width is only 15 inches so I can only put one 75 on the very top..the others have to be cookie cutter 55s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.