Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the very near future i am setting up a new 6ft tank for my pair of red devils, and i am completely unsure of what type of filter to use.

being so new to having fish the filter i have in my 4ft tank at the moment is an Aqua One 104F (i think thats what its called). i havent heard much bad news about this brand but being i brought the whole setup 2nd hand i dont think the filter is in the best condition so it doesnt preform how it should.

im located in australia but will ship in products if there are better ones overseas as i want the new tank to be perfect. im chasing something that will be suitable for upto 200 gallons and will go well with a young pair of red devils throughout their lives

thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after some research im looking at a:
EHEIM Pro 2 2028 Aquarium Canister filter 1050l p/hr ... which is suitable for 600L tank. Some calculations made show im looking at 640L approx for my new tank.

would 40L make a difference? and what do you think of the cannister filters? im liking the idea at the moment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for some input.
i like the sound of the eheim 2080. i had looked at that earlier today too, the money isnt a major factor because i want good quality, it just means i will be saving a little longer.

i cannot find any information whatsoever on the Aquaclear AC110 though?? any thoughts as to why??

by a couple do you mean running 1 at each end of the tank if i were to go with the aquaclears, and run just 1 if i go with the eheim?

thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just found some info on the AC110 ... are they the hang on style filters?

two of the hang on style would be alright aslong as they will do the job well :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Some people on this forum have problems with hang on back filters if they have a sand substrate (the sand gets caught in the impeller). If you're using gravel this won't be a problem. Otherwise a canister is a good option (sand is not an issue in this case because of the canister design, particularly if you keep your intake at least 4" from the bottom).

If cost isn't an issue, I'd personally go with a canister. They're quieter and allow you to keep your tank closer to the wall behind the tank. Two Eheim 2217s would give you redundancy and equipment with a great reputation for reliability. They'll also give you more flexibility if you decide to go with sand.

What's "best" though often comes down to personal preference and circumstances.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checking out the eheim 2217s now.

i will be going with sand in the new 6ft, i have gravel in the 4ft at the moment but i really like the idea of sand :)

thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I gotta say I love my FX-5 (and my other Fluval canister filters).

Nothing wrong with eheim, like they said.. personal preference.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
There mere fact that you are looking at the Eheim tells me you are on the right track. Spend the extra money for the quality. Eheim 15 years running and no problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Before you decide, also consider two 2028's. How's that for coming full circle? There's certainly nothing wrong with the two 2217's, but with the 2028's you get integrated priming and media baskets that make cleaning a bit less of a bother (so you'll do it more often). Both can be finicky - the 2028 less so. I think it boils down to relative cost. Be sure to include the cost of media if it's not included with either filter!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
There are numerous factors to consider, such as cost, efficiency and ease of mainteneance. I like HOBs if I am going to use a mechanical type of filter. The main reasons are the cost and ease of maintenance. An AC 110 with 2 foam inserts and a 1 bio media bag is a very good filter and is easily cleaned, weekly if necessary. Sand can be an issue. So, while cans are great filters, they are too much work for me, and too expensive. For the cost of one can I can outfit a new 75 gal setup. With only one tank, of course, maintenance is less of an issue. For me the best filter for you is the one you are willing to maintain, as they will all do the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts