Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for a filter for a 55g aquarium. Need something thats very quiet. The top couple of filters that come to mind for this job is a Fluval 405 or Rena XP3. How would these do? Would 1 of these be enough?
Tank would be fully stocked with African Cichlids, probably Mbuna.

·
Registered
625 Posts
XP3 is very quite and does a great job on my gf's 55. She has that and a whisper 60. The XP3 is easily the quieter of the two.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
One f those should do it with a spraybar. You might find it necessary to add a HOB for a little more mechanical filtration.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Xp2 + Xp1 on mine. Xp3 would be a good option.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to stay away from the HOB filter due to the noise. I have 2 emperor 400s on my 60 and they do an excellent job but are as noisy as a vacuum cleaner. I got them used. Yes the impeller is placed correctly and yes the impeller is clean. From what I understand they get louder with age and that may be the reason.

I want a system I can have in the living room and not have the noise level interfere with anything.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Emperors are WAY noisier than ACs in my experience. Anything with a biowheel is going to be noisy. But I have 5 tanks in my living room, all running XP3s, AC70 or 110s, or Fluvals and the noise level is very low unless the water level starts going down in the tank. Then the noise is primarily splashing, not the filters.

I don't think a single XP3 would give enough water flow by itself. But a powerhead for current and the XP3 would probably be fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
On my 55 I'm running the Marineland C-360 and Emperor 280.
Prior to the C-360, I ran the 350 for 8 years.
All have been very quiet and I am pleased with the flow and circulation.

Fish tank is in my office, about 6 feet from my phone.
The canister sits outside the tank stand.
90% of my conversations are over speakerphone, and I've never had a comment about the noise.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Running an XP2 and a MaxiJet 900 on my 55. Couldn't be happier. Quiet and clean.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My emperor 400s are equivalent to a small vacuum cleaner or a garbage disposal. Their noise is audible throughout any room in the house.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Personally my first choice would be an Eheim nothing smaller than a 2217 but I would seriouly consider the Eheim 2250. If you go Fluval the FX5 or 405. They would be my only options asa far as canisters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts