Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a Diatom filter, and also a IV filter. Not planning on running either of them full time, just to polish the water every once in a while. Does any one own them? What is your opinion on them? Which brands/models do you recommend? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I use the aqua ultraviolet classic series on two of our tanks. Have had them both now for some time and have no problems other than a wiper seal and price.

I also use a vortex XL diatom filter and have had that as long as I can remember. Don't use it as much as I first did but still use it after doing messy maintenance and before company arrives. Really gives you crispy water but is a sort of a pain to set up but it is worth it afterwards.

Advice, be sure to clean it right after use, if you let it sit a day or more after use you will never do that again.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
prov356 said:
That's a blast from the past. I used to use those in the 80's. They worked well. But, I haven't used them since then.
You can say they have longetivity. I have two of them the older of them around 35 years but no longer used. The newer one is twenty or so years in use. The O-ring gets replaced every five years or close to it and I have had to replace a bearing three times over time to fix a leak. I still am on the same bag of DE that I bought from the pool supply like ten years ago :lol:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm reading some mixed reviews on the vortex filter. I'll have to study up on it when I get some time. How long does it take for it to polish the water after a messy water change?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
From turbid to crispy clear in an hour.

Really depends on the size of yer tank and turnover rate of the UV, a 75g tank will clear quickly while with a 210 and you'd need to step away for a bit.

Setting up/ recharging a vortex could be a pain but I am ok with that but as I posted ours does not get used much lately. With proper mech filtration and maintenance you could get along fine w/ out a diatom filter but if you absolutely have to have that floating on air look nothing will get close to it as a UV and diatom combo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts