Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Blue labs? Do you mean Pseudotropheus socolofi, or do you truly have the blue variant of the labs?

I can't see pics of your fish, but from the species you have provided, I would have to go with a good quality Yellow lab as being the nicest looking fish of the bunch. Good quality specimens can be quite hard to find these days, though!

Kim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your right the 3 blue lab's i was talking about are Pseudotropheus socolofi. I was thinking ordering 3 or 4 different Pseudotropheus sp. Elongatus males. What do you think?

Like:
Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Taiwan"
Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Masimbwe"
Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Linganjala"

·
Registered
729 Posts
First of all, Yellow Labs are one of my favorite. Otherwise, your blue fish with stripes is incredible. It does not look like a scofoli to me, so I am thinking it is your unkonwn? If so, it might be an Afra? In any case, he is probably my favorite out of your fish.

The first thing I noticed in your fish was how fat your Acei is... wow, I am hoping mine plump up some.

As far as keeping any elongatus with that tank, I would think it might be too agressive for the other fish in your tank. They are pretty mild mbuna (asuming that one is an Afra too.) I have not kept elongatus myself, so maybe others who have would know better.

What color or personality is it that you are looking to add?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What size tank is this?

Kim

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Having lone males of any species is asking for trouble (unless its an All Male tank with only one male of each species) Mlaes that are similar in coloration will fight viciously all the time, usually resulting in some deaths.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The questionable "Afra" is the most aggressive in my tank. He's about 4" long and beats up on them all.

My tank is 75g (4ft long). When I first got a large acei, he was about 2" now 3 1/2 months later he's about 5". He had a big growth spurt.

I just got done ordering 4 Labidochromis caeruleus (Nkhata Bay) "Electric White". I hope there a good quality.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hmmm... if he is the most agressive there are a few others he could be... I was thinking based on the others you have that he would be relatively mild..... That is simply such a common color scheme... but once again it is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I keep Elongatus Mpanga with yellow labs and they get along very well together, if any thing the labs have the better of them.
I also have in the tank a trio of breeding Red Empress which i will be getting rid of simply because the male red is way to over powering for the elongatus and therefore they aren't colouring up the way they should simply because they get bossed around by the big fella.
Moral of the story is to get rid of any fish you think may have an ill effect on the fish you are seeking.
Hopefully all ends well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts