Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have a 120 gallon tank. Been running for 6 months.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 25ppm
Ph - 8.2
Gh and kh also appropriate levels.

I am one of the mad guys that set up a mixed tank with mbuna, peacocks and haps. So far i haven't had any issues besides my benga being picked on by my Venustus (even though the venustus is smaller and not the tank boss).

I have placed the fish in a hospital tank previously, due to damage of fighting. It has always ate very well, always hides out in one top corner though. In hospital tank i treated with paraguard and kanaplex for fear of fin rot.

After 2 weeks and fins appearing better i placed it back in the main tank. My problem is the following, it has gradually for the last month or so been losing colour and it looks as if it's skin is peeling? I have no clue what i am dealing with? Seeing as i was not sure if its a fungus or bacterial i treated again with Polyguard, still no improvement.

Anyone please able to tell me what is going on here? Pics show gradual colour loss and skin peeling.

Tia.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
RE: Aggression: a stress response due to aggression can bring on illness usually sooner than later. Even if you don't see the physical aggression taking place anymore. I would remove the Benga asap, get him well again, and then rehome him.

RE: Illness: I have found clean, fresh water (with stable parameters), along with salt (sodium chloride) 1tablespoon per 5-10gallons in a cycled hospital tank to be the best treatment in most of my cases dealing with sick fish. The problem with introducing meds is that it can also weaken an already weak fish. What's even worse is if you wind up treating with the wrong medication, which does happen. My go to treatment for quite a few years now has been frequent water changes to ensure the hospital tank has fresh, clean water, plus salt.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Luhann said:
Any idea what the skin peeling could be?
I wouldn't want to try to diagnose only by looking at pictures. But you could google velvet fish disease and see if this looks like what your fish has. Also, google something like 'aquarium fish skin peeling' or 'shedding'. Skin peeling could could also happen if there is ammonia present in the water if the tank isn't cycled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts