Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new to having convict cichlids, and just wondering why two of them have dug and spit out rocks from one of the aquarium decor. They both seem to stay close by and get very aggressive towards any other fish coming near there area. Once in awhile the smaller of the two will swim away but not for long and goes right back. Anyone have an idea of what and why?
Plant Organism Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk
Insect Pollinator Arthropod Moths and butterflies Butterfly

·
Super Moderator
1,924 Posts
Maybe they are getting ready to spawn or are just defending eggs or fry if they've already spawned. Shine a light in the 'cave' area to see if you see any eggs or fry.

Is this your first time having Convict cichlids? What other fish are in the tank with them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey new to having convict cichlids, and just wondering why two of them have dug and spit out rocks from one of the aquarium decor. They both seem to stay close by and get very aggressive towards any other fish coming near there area. Once in awhile the smaller of the two will swim away but not for long and goes right back. Anyone have an idea of what and why? View attachment 139949 View attachment 139950

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe they are getting ready to spawn or are just defending eggs or fry if they've already spawned. Shine a light in the 'cave' area to see if you see any eggs or fry.

Is this your first time having Convict cichlids? What other fish are in the tank with them?
Yes I haven’t had fish in a long time. Over ten years now prob. I have four convict cichlids and two kenya cichlids. They seemed to get along and not fight for a month or so when I got them, just in the last week I notice this change.

·
Super Moderator
1,924 Posts
Well the fish are maturing and their natural behavior is to spawn and raise the fry. Here is a species article from the C-F Library on Convicts .

At the time the article was written the author used the genus name Archocentrus which is now Amatitlania in case you were interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the fish are maturing and their natural behavior is to spawn and raise the fry. Here is a species article from the C-F Library on Convicts .

At the time the article was written the author used the genus name Archocentrus which is now Amatitlania in case you were interested.
Perfect thanks I will look into that and read it. If I can see any eggs or fry if hatched I will post on here. I can’t get a good view into it even with a light.

·
Super Moderator
40,716 Posts
Also reconsider having two kenyi in any sized tank because Malawi are kept in groups to spread aggression and prevent a fish from having one enemy to focus ALL his anger on...resulting in death.

Also if you wanted a group of kenyi ideally you would keep them in a 72" tank (since they are very aggressive).

With Malawi like the kenyi...expect to see mature behavior after a year or so.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Totally... (y)

Good responses all around - definitely concur with all!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also reconsider having two kenyi in any sized tank because Malawi are kept in groups to spread aggression and prevent a fish from having one enemy to focus ALL his anger on...resulting in death.

Also if you wanted a group of kenyi ideally you would keep them in a 72" tank (since they are very aggressive).

Ok good to know I have a 110gallon tank being cycled right now they can be moved to hopefully soon

·
Super Moderator
40,716 Posts
They are a challenging mbuna to keep and will limit your choices for tank mates. Consider other alternatives to get the yellow and blue bars of the kenyi without the attitude. Is the 110G a 72" tank?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

No it’s the 110 gallon high tank

·
Super Moderator
40,716 Posts
The fish claim a territory, so the length of the tank is the main determining factor...not the gallons. If I wanted to stock kenyi in a 49" tank I would make it a species tank with kenyi only...think in of 1m:19f. The very large number of females is an attempt to manage their aggression.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to update on here and let everyone know that I now have convict fry. The two hiding in the cave had laid eggs and I couldn’t see them, now there is little ones swimming around I have moved all fish except the parents. How long till I should consider moving them out so they don’t eat the littles?

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Such an odd posting thread....
So, it's back to being a Central American thing now, I guess?
You've removed every fish from the tank, except for the Convict parents and their school of now free-swimming fry? Well, you don't have to remove the parents from the tank at all. Without the stress of other fish in the tank, and with the pretty big size of this tank (at least in regards to the pretty small size of the Convict Cichlid), the babies should all raise up in this tank just fine. The parents won't eat those Convict babies.
And no, growing out those baby fish with this very fecund species isn't the problem. It's what to do with all of those Convict babies that can be the problem!
-
These Central American Cichlids just DO NOT stop spawning. Keeping a lot of other fry-eating/predatory fish in the tank with a spawning pair of Cichlids is one way to keep those predatory fish fairly well fed, at least. And will help to reduce (or eliminate) a possibly exploding Convict population in your aquarium.

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Such an odd posting thread....
So, it's back to being a Central American thing now, I guess?
You've removed every fish from the tank, except for the Convict parents and their school of now free-swimming fry? Well, you don't have to remove the parents from the tank at all. Without the stress of other fish in the tank, and with the pretty big size of this tank (at least in regards to the pretty small size of the Convict Cichlid), the babies should all raise up in this tank just fine. The parents won't eat those Convict babies.
And no, growing out those baby fish with this very fecund species isn't the problem. It's what to do with all of those Convict babies that can be the problem!
-
These Central American Cichlids just DO NOT stop spawning. Keeping a lot of other fry-eating/predatory fish in the tank with a spawning pair of Cichlids is one way to keep those predatory fish fairly well fed, at least. And will help to reduce (or eliminate) a possibly exploding Convict population in your aquarium.
Perfect thanks I will let them be then, atleast knowing the closest pet store around here is about two hours away I know a few people that will take fry so it will help for now to not be over populated haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts