Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've kept a 10 gallon community tank before, and I kinda want a cichlid tank, using the same 10 gallon tank. I have about 30-40 dollars to spend for everything, and i want it to be very easy. Any suggestions? And please tell me what I need.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Theres not really much you can do with a 10 gallon in terms of Cichlids, unless you are using it as a fry tank, but even that is small. I kept a pair of Rams in a 10 for a couple of months but now they are in a 29

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Unfortunately, you have a very limited budget and a very limiting tank. You could buy a small hang-on-the-back filter for about $25 and then you'll need a small heater of about 50 watts, which I think is another $20 or so, plus fake plants, decorations and gravel. You'll also need declorinator, fish food, testing kits (at least ammonia, nitrites and pH), a net and a gravel vac, plus two buckets (one for clean water and one for dirty water). You should also have a thermometer. In a 10 gallon, you could have a small school of guppies or very small tetras, like cardinals. Perhaps you could have 3 very small cories.

All of this will cost more than you have, unfortunately.

I don't know much about goldfish, but maybe you could do one or two in a 10 gallon? I'm not sure . . .

You might keep your eye on Craigslist in your area. Often people are giving away their aquarium and supplies for free. Then you'd be in a better position to have some cichlids.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Don't be discouraged, you can have a 10 gallon full of shellies (they're almost as hardy as danios). You don't NEED test kits, I have some, but almost never use them. All you need is the aquarium, a filter (be it power filter or a sponge filter with an air pump) and a heater. If you're on a budget you don't even need a dechlorinator (but prime is so cheap I don't know why you wouldn't buy it). This is all assuming that you don't have th original equipment for your 10 gallon. If you do have that equipment it'll be easy-peasy to set up that 10 gallon for shell dwellers and you'll have room to play with your cash.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I never buy my own test kit. Some LFS by my house tests water for free. Also, petsmart does it for free, at least the one in San Antonio

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
hollyfish2000 said:
I don't know much about goldfish, but maybe you could do one or two in a 10 gallon? I'm not sure . . . [/url]

dont do this, common goldfish can grow to over a foot, and fancy varieties can get up to 8". beside the point of large sizes, they are messy fish, and filtration is a definite need. another thing to consider, is that at lower temperatures the filter bacteria are less active (if I remember correctly bacterial activity doubles every 10degrees (Celsius) increase.)
the absolute smallest tank to keep common goldfish in would be a 55g, ideally bigger.

Darkside said:
If you're on a budget you don't even need a dechlorinator (but prime is so cheap I don't know why you wouldn't buy it).
this is something I STRONGLY disagree with. IF the OP has chlorinated water, this is a possibility, but then you need to explain about ageing the water, and ensuring its well oxidised so as to drive off the chlorine, however this will NOT work with chloramine, which is increasingly being used as it is a far more stable version. in which case a dechlorinator would most certainly be needed. prime as you mentioned also has some benefits as it will bind the minimal traces (hopefully) of ammonia and nitrite found in the tap water.

Mr_Yellow_Shoes said:
I never buy my own test kit. Some LFS by my house tests water for free.
hopefully the OP has a LFS close by that will do the same, however if not, it will be cheaper in the long run to buy your own test kit, rather than pay at the LFS to have it done.

anthonyn66 said:
I've kept a 10 gallon community tank before, and I kinda want a cichlid tank, using the same 10 gallon tank. I have about 30-40 dollars to spend for everything, and i want it to be very easy. Any suggestions? And please tell me what I need.
what equipment did you have with the 10g, a lot of what's needed you should already have.

there isn't much footprint on a 10g tank, so ideally you want to try and get bigger. (look at your local classifieds, you may pick up some really good bargains) there is a possibility of keeping a pair of peaceful apistogramma, or a small community of shelldwellers. however 10g is very limited real estate, and you will have to pay close attention, as problems will happen much quicker than they could in a bigger tank.

but your stocking options are SEVERELY limited by the small size of the tank.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Chloramine can be removed with activated carbon if you wish (I guess that's a type of dechlorinator). But I have a feeling that since the OP has already kept community fish they are aware of the basics of fish keeping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i already have filtration and heater... don't worry about that, and i have the seachen conditioner, aquaclear 20, also whisper 2-10i, heater, everything except plants and fish!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
3 Occies, 6 escargot shells and play sand...(no plants needed) be right at $40 around here and would be never ending entertainment. When it gets boreing pull out their shells, clean them up and re-arrange where the are in the tank, placeing them on top of the sand, sit back and watch the sand fly!

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I thought occies liked a little more room that what is available in a 10G?

But agree on the shellies...a pair of brevis or a trio of multies are good in a 10G according to the cookie cutters in the Library.

To look them up in profiles, Lamprologus Brevis or Lamprologus Multifasciatus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts