Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so *** pretty much convereted my entire 90 gal tank.
i have planted around 20 medium sized plants compatible with discus changed my rocky substrate with flourite and sand mixture measured all water paramaters after the change and a few weeks later. everything looks ok.

only problem i see is ph is around 8 steady. *** done alot of research and *** come to the comclusion that the discus will be ok as long as they aren't wild caught and the ph is steady.

the only concerns i have is because of the expensive of discus i don't plan on loosing any so....

does anyone see any issues with my setup? filtration is a cascade 300 (250gph HOB) and an eheim 2217. both very clean and brand new.

i plan to do weekly water changes at minimum if not twice a week around 25-50% each change.

lastly, i plan on including a school of cardinals and having a few cory cats and yoyo loaches to assist in the cleaning duties. should i add these fish first or throw them all in at the same time?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'd would give the yoyo loaches a miss. I have found them to be a little too much for angels so they'd probably stress the Discus too.

Cories should be fine though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You will have issues hatching eggs at 8 but aside from that you should be fine. Healthy non-wildcaught discus are pretty resilient when it comes to PH. Mine are steady at 8.3. My breeder who lives nearby raises them on purpose at that PH but he drops the actual smaller tanks with eggs and then after they hatch he will gradually raise the pH back to normal 8.3.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.