Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Been Out Of The Fish Keeping Hobby for 8 years Need Advice..

721 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jkulysses 
#1 ·
Well I had to sell pretty much all my tanks and equipment about 8 years ago due to divorce. It took years after the divorce and move halfway across the country but I've finally got everything stable in my life again and I'm wanting to get a couple tanks set back up. I got a 10G for free that I'm going to setup and I also just scored a great deal on a 75G tank/stand setup. So here are my questions,

2. I'm going to need a couple heaters and lots has changed so whats the best brand now???
3. Is the Python system still the best for cleaning the tank??
4. I know I have more questions but these are the only ones that are coming to mind right now so fill me in on any other significant changes in the last few years to the fish keeping world!!!

#3 ·
Yeah welcome back. Heaters can depend on your climate region. I live in the Mid Atlantic and I have 6 Ca tanks and no heaters, even in the winter. I do own some,and many different kinds. I really like the fluval with the colored lcd.

#4 ·
Welcome back.

I have the Lees brand "Python", but have hearing a lot of good things about aqueons brand of water changers. I haven't used either of them but may be able to find the aqueon one cheaper some place.

As far as heaters I have been using the Rena's and the Aqueon's (only two kinds my LFS carries) without any problems so far. But like Prov356 said they all have a good and bad reviews so it seems to be more of the luck of the draw on not getting one made on a Monday no matter what brand you get. Just be aware of the recall on the Stealth Pro's have been hearing about some catastrophic failures with these.

#5 ·
Alright thanks for the replies. I always used Ebo Jagers in the past and I had several of the original Stealth heaters without the lighted control. I still have one Jager thats been sitting around for the last 8 years and it looks like all the wire thats coiled around the bottom has just come uncoiled which is really weird and I'm thinking it's probably not safe to use anymore. I do have 2 Rena XP-2's and think I'm going to give the Rena smart heater a shot. I really like how it replaces the intake tube on the XP series of filters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.