Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have multi's in a 125g. What are some other options for a 10 gallon? I want something interesting to watch, I study in bed a lot.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
A pair of brevis would be cool. They have somewhat different behaviors than multies, for example no colonies, male and female share one shell, and so on. Plus in my 240G they never left an area of the size of a 10G, so they really don't seem to need more space :thumb:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about trying a pair or two of Brevis.

Would a pair of small julies be out of the question?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I don't think you could get away with two pairs of Brevis. The males are fierce fighters and would force my Frontosa male away from their shell if need be. At some stage I lost a female and the remaining two males fought over the female to the point where one of them lost an eye. That's in a 240G!

I am assuming you mean the julies as a possible alternative to brevis, not an addition. A pair of the smaller julies - transcriptus or marlieri 'Gombe' might work, but I'd make sure to have a backup plan for the fish in case it doesn't.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
If you could fit a 20, a pair of Brichardi are nice, and the small Julies will work in a 20.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like a planted tank, but I don't want to have to spend anymore money on equipment, I don't have a light good enough to grow plants. I want to stick with the 10, it fits the little night stand I have.

I think Prov356 has a small setup with two pairs of Brevis.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think Prov356 has a small setup with two pairs of Brevis.
6 gallon, worked fine, both pairs bred. I also had two pair and a single male breeding in a 10 gor quite some time. I also have 3 pair in 6 feet, but they occupy about a square foot. I've never seen mine be really vicious like Frank's, so I must have had a wimpy strain. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have two bedside 5.5's on has neons and the other is filled with crowntail fry. I use 1 to breed and hold the fry till separation is needed . Very interesting to watch.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MAN if you guys are within driving distance of each other I need to make a trip up there lol :D

I'll try two pairs and if it proves to much fish for too small a tank I will move the extra pair to the 125g. The 125g blows my mind, 14 multis, 4 caudopunks and they only use 36" of the tank???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts