Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new Lwanda, just put him in the show tank, and after the first day, I noticed he wasn't very active and seemed to be acting a little funny, just kinda floating there. I noticed my eureka red chase him a little bit, and I noticed a few nips on his fins, but I wasn't sure if they were new or from his previous owner.

Next morning, I saw him floating upside down under a branch in my tank. He was barely breathing.

I got him out and noticed that he was beat up fairly severely. He is currently in a 10 gallon hospital tank, but I have a few questions.

Is a power filter a bad idea? I put one in there with some seeded media to keep the ammonia and nitrites from becoming a problem, but the current pushes him around a bit. I could put an uncycled sponge filter or two in.

Also, I dosed with melafix, but it says not to do a water change for the 7 days of dosing. Should I follow that, or should I do water changes and dose?

My hopes are really low that this fish will make it, but I gotta try. Took me over a year to finally find a Lwanda! GRRRRR

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
If the fish is really beat then fighting a strong current is going to take energy that he could use to be getting better. You could put a fake floating/vine-like plant in there that he can lodge himself in.
OR
go with the sponge filters.

Dosing with Melafix and water changes. The directions are a little confusing so I wrote the makers of Melafix a few years back and asked them if it was okay to do daily partial water changes while doing daily Melafix treatments. They said yes. So do the partial water change just prior to adding the daily dose of Melafix and you'll be giving your fish the best of both worlds.

Time will tell with this fish. I've heard truly remarkable reports here on the forum of fish making back from the brink. All you can do is what you've done, remove, treat, provide perfect water conditions and wait.

Good luck :)

Robin

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I had helped him lodge behind the upper part of the filter intake so he wasn't getting pushed around, but he still didn't last long. Sigh.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry for your loss. It's very difficult trying to keep more than one Jacobfreibergi once they're fully colored. I've experimented with Lwanda, Lemons, Eureka, & Otter Points all together or partial combos in a 125g... never much luck. Hope you get another chance at the Lwanda later on.
:fish:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts