Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked out my local rock suply company and they had what they called beach pebbles in 3 sizes. First was small like a quarter, second was the size of a fist and larger, then they had huge ones the size of a persons head. I really like the medium size and love the colors (blue, green, gray, pink, purple, etc.) Are these safe for aquarium use? This is from their website with picture and more info.

http://www.niemeyerstone.com/products/s ... hp?p=00187

·
Registered
155 Posts
i use 3/8 aquarium rocks, but honestly now that *** set up my tank with sand. go with Pool Filter Sand, you can get it at a local pool shop, it looks 10x better and im sure its easier maintanance then rocks.
beach pebbles im sure means its tiny

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I should think they are totally safe but for my taste I like a variety of sizes to make a variety of size hiding spots. It is a personal choice but I also always soak items for the tank in bleach water overnight, then rinse and let air dry. It is totally safe when they dry and it assures you that any oils, pesticides, etc. that might get on the rocks is gone as the bleach reacts with any of that. Commerial landscape tends to be a messy business with tractors running around dripping oil and hydraulic fluids that you do not want in the tank. It is also one sure way to avoid adding snail eggs to the tank. Something like washing your dishes before eating. It is so simple that it would be a shame to not do it and find there was something on the rocks that you didn't see. Others may scream but experienced fishkeepers do it all the time for safety.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts