Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tanks have been up and running for about 1-2 yrs and the only additions really have been from my growout tanks(dems). My bottom 55g tank had a troublemaking ob trewavasae, so I got rid of him. Got some small females and figured I would try with the regular males. The female additions have been fine. I added 2 small males about 2 weeks ago. The dom female bullied the 2 a bit and they hung out near the back. After about a week, I lost one of them. Then, the other died a few days later. He had a few whitish spots on him, figured the female has beat him up a little before he died.

Fast forward to now. My tank is almost a complete loss. Stock was what is in my sig. The msobo are pretty much full grown, same with my nkhata bays. I turned on my tank light yesterday, only to find 2 female msobo dead. I looked around the tank and it looks like columnaris popped up. I have a few fish showing the signs. I pulled out my male nkhata, he died overnight. Found 2 more msobo females and a nkhata female as well today. These have all been grown up from less than 1'' to almost full grown. Looks like my male msobo, who I waited almost 2 yrs to complete a transformation is next. No other my female red zebra is holding, and has a TINY spot next to her mouth. unaffected are my male red zebra, last female msobo,3 female trews and one female afra. Words cannot express the disappointment. I have had this happen once before in a growout and lost over half the fish. There is not much I can do but wait and see which ones make it.

The point of this is to warn others that grabbing a fish that isnt in pristine conditions can have much worse consequences than just losing one fish that u bought. Be careful, and be selective in your choices. quarantine if possible. I do have one silver lining, as I raise most fry that I strip out. I have a 10-15 juvy msobo at around 2'', 2-3 nkhata juvies, along with a few others growing. They cant replace the yrs i had the others tho. Plus, I have to wait out the tank for at least a month or so before I could even add anything to it... sigh...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Really sorry dude.

Columnaris is a mo' fo'. I have a friend who lost her whole fish room to it - introduced from a fish from a reputable breeder/importer. We're talking 15+ 40-75 gallon tanks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, columnaris is the worst. hits so quickly theres nothing to be done and it takes out most of the fish...guess im lucky in a way that its only one tank. The net will be not be cross contaminated and bring it to others, so hopefully it shouldnt spread.

Marc, yes, especially when I have watched them grow up from babies. My male msobo is just kind ofswimming slowly, I know he'll be dead before the night is over. Thats huge for me, msobo are my fav, and i waited a LONG time to get a male fully colored

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fish. I lost a tank of 8 hara juvies, 9 or 10 afra juvies, and some perlmutt to to the same thing. Happend over a 3-4 day period. Tried to treat with some stuff i had around the house but it didnt help. Sorry again but I am glad to hear you have some juvies of your msobo.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
So sorry to hear about this. I had something similar happen on a smaller scale, which convinced me to always use quarantine tanks for new fish.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
It wiped out half my tank shortly after I first stocked it, it must be terrible to lose fish you raised. I couldn't catch them fast enough to treat them.

·
Registered
874 Posts
It is so important to quarantine, even from a reputable breeder. I once ended up spending more money on meds than what i spent on the fish that introduced the disease. live and learn.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It def has been terrible to watch fish I have raised die off, especially in such a short time. Im about to pull the male msobo out into a hospital tank so he can die in peace tonight. That tank is so empty now. The msobo took forever to start breeding, but I have gotten quite a bit raised once they started. I have 14, with quite a few large males already showing the start of the change. Also have another 15 or so in a 10g that are about 1.5 months old. Have 3 Nkhata bay, one large def male, 2 smaller ones. I'm unsure if I am just gonna trade those away and stay away from keeping them again.

I had gotten confident that it wouldnt happen. I had put in the 3 trewavase females in a few weeks before this and one seemed kinda sickly in the store, but got better in my tank. The 2 males I got looked fine coming out of the tank. Should have been more diligent when I noticed both males never finding their way into the mix, and the white spots on the 2nd male just before he died. Lesson learned, and I felt the need to share my mistake costing me years of growout and the lives of many fish. Q tanks should be used. Ironically, the msobo babies that have now died were q'd when i first got them for over a month

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I lost the msobo male and the female afra. I have a core group of fish that seem to have not gotten the infection. My male red zebra, 3 female trewa and one single msobo female. At this point, I am curious on when to start rebuilding the tank. I want to be sure the tank isnt a deathtrap. How long should I wait to start adding in new fish? a few weeks? a month? Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The bacteria can persist in water for up to 32 days when the hardness is 50ppm or more.
I found this in the wikipedia, i hope it helps. as i am not for shur that this is what they really had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts