Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Mbuna keeper for over 30 years. This is the first time that i can say i am stumped at the level of aggression that exists within my tank at this time. My tank is 90 gallons. Water is at optimal African levels. Plenty of rock work for cover. I feed NLS and Cobalt color flakes. Total number of fish are 14 with average size per fish approx 4 inches. Following are tank mates, all males:

(1) Red Zebra
(1) Red OB Zebra
(2) Pearl White Zebra
(2) Yellow Labs
(1) Marmalade Fullerboni
(1) Williamsi
(1) Labido red Top Hongi
(1) Red Cheek Mac
(1) red Top Zebra
(1) Metroclima Orange Belly Zebra
(1) Cyno Zebroid Likoma
(1) Labido Clowm Lab

I have been told to try and add Haps, but can someone suggest how to prevent a "genocide"?

Thanks for all help!

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
What is a red cheek mac?

I would choose one Metriaclima (zebra).

And choose one blue barred fish (hongi or red top zebra or zebroides or clown lab).

As you can see it is hard to get 12 mbuna that look nothing alike.

I would not add haps or peacocks to a mbuna tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJ but still not sure how to "tame" the aggression in my tank with the tankmates I listed. Add more fish is only thing I can think of. BTW, red cheek Mac is Tropheops species...

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I don't think you can combine the fish you have and tame aggression. I like 12 adult males in a 48" tank and you already have 14. It is typical of an all-male tank to first stock with one of each and no look-alikes, and second to STILL have to remove some individual fish that are too aggressive or too timid over the first 2 years in the tank.

·
Registered
424 Posts
GarPac19 said:
I have been a Mbuna keeper for over 30 years. This is the first time that i can say i am stumped at the level of aggression that exists within my tank at this time. My tank is 90 gallons. Water is at optimal African levels. Plenty of rock work for cover. I feed NLS and Cobalt color flakes. Total number of fish are 14 with average size per fish approx 4 inches. Following are tank mates, all males:

(1) Red Zebra
(1) Red OB Zebra
(2) Pearl White Zebra
(2) Yellow Labs
(1) Marmalade Fullerboni
(1) Williamsi
(1) Labido red Top Hongi
(1) Red Cheek Mac
(1) red Top Zebra
(1) Metroclima Orange Belly Zebra
(1) Cyno Zebroid Likoma
(1) Labido Clowm Lab

I have been told to try and add Haps, but can someone suggest how to prevent a "genocide"?

Thanks for all help!
What's the temp in your tank? I run 78-79 and notice sometimes after water changes the temp is about 81 and they get crazier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Ironspider. I agree temp and water changes make my mbunas nutty. My temp hovers around 81-82 usually. But I've been keeping and breeding at this temp for years w no drastic issues. I believe the problem lies in male look alikes fighting for territory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts