Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basalt, Scoria, Granite ?

what the best rock to use in my next cichlid tank, I do not want to use a rock that may be harmful to the fishes health, I had the other thread goin in regards to what type of rack that the railroad tracks use but it seems that there are a few differant type o rock use as railroad traintrack ballast ( pomus scoria granite basalt etc etc,... ) the track near my house have very cool dark colored rock almost black would look very nice as a wall in the back of a 16" high cichlid aquarium

I want recomandation which rock would be best and why, and also which rocks may be harmful to the enviroment of the fishtank ?

kind regards :fish:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did I mention I boiled them ? would that not take care of any issues

Iv noticed that alot of tanks use that Scoria rock and that type is very commanly used by railroads tracks

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I tend to avoid putting sharp, abrasive rocks in my tank for fear that my fish will cut themselves as they chase each other and dive into and out of the rocks. Scoria looks like it might be very abrasive. I'd probably stick with granite and basalt.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
YELLOWRAVEN
In Ontario, I'm almost positive that rock is owned... you'd be stealing if you 'collected' it. i remember reading about some person that was charged with theft for swiping some rocks used on railroad tracks up past Barrie...

Worth checking into at a minimum! :thumb:

What I do for rocks now is I buy one single large rock from a landscape supply, wear safetly glasses and smash into chunks with a hammer. I dull sharp edges with light taps from the hammer... what you get is a wonderful conformity throughout the tank. Often, lines from the rocks still match up and you can create a real authentic rift lake look!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tru rail road rocks bad

returned

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That Idea about the rock from landscape company or quarry is an awesome idea :)
thats what i will probably end up doing I wanted uniformaty as my goal here same color throughout the tank

kind regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts