Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you consider the smallest size tank that would allow me to keep a pair of cons and some dithers? I am more curious of what size tank would be needed so the dithers won't be shredded during spawning.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
3 footer minimum. 4 is better.

I have my Nics (8" and 5") in a 3' 46g tank with 10 Buenos Aires Tertras and it works out good, even with fry. They are very bonded and seldom fight. They seem happy and healthy and rearanfe the sand to their liking

...Bill

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to just keep a pair of convicts alone. I want to try them even if they are the most common fish available lol.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Try a 20 long then, or 30 long is better.

....Bill

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Fishguy, thats why I decided to just keep a pair by themselves. No use in wasting cash on dithers that will be harassed to death.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Basically you have to keep this mind you can keep a person in a closet for living quarters but is it really ideal and comfortable? It's the same way with fish. The bigger the tank and the more room they have the more happy and healthy the fish will be. They will live long healthy lives. They will show more colors and you will have better results. I understand that money and room for the tank is a big thing but try to go as big as you can.

For a Convict pair they can be kept in a 20 gal L but really is it ideal and comfortable? No! I would say a 30 gal. That would be perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.