Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the move is done, the 40G is set up. But my German red and red zebra did not survive the move. Things went bad with the utilities, and the power was out for about 12 hours, temp in the apartment went to 90+ and the fish passed before I could cool them off. I am taking this time to get a good cycle on the tank, get is 100% set up and fish ready. here is the stocking list I am looking at for the future, please critique the list. I want to have an active tank, and would hate to see any one fish be singled out and killed.

Pseudotropheus Kingsizei Likoma frost
Aulonocara Mdoka Flametail Peacock
Cynotilapia Afra Hai Reef
Pseudotropheus Demasoni Pombo Rocks
Pseudotropheus Elongatus Chailosi

All would be groups of 3 unsexed, I know that is 15 fish in a 40G tank, but as two males of the same grow they will go to the LFS to avoid conflict.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Allow me to be the first to say that you need either 1 demasoni or 12+ demasoni. 3 tends to become 1.

·
Registered
54 Posts
demasoni and hai reef are not gona mix... my demasoni do fine with with my chailosi but i have found out the hard way no demasoni with afra... i would bump up your numbers of demasoni or throw out the demasoni and go with just the hai reef... if u do that u wont be dissappointed trust me!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank?

If it's a standard breeder, I would go single species, or possibly a breeding group of peacocks with a trio of very mild mannered mbuna, such as Yellow labs.

Those are far too many groups to attempt to keep in a tank that size.

And ridley25 is right about the demasoni... :thumb:

Kim

·
Registered
929 Posts
I would do a Ngara Flametail, more red than yellow.
But I wouldn't add the poor guy to a tank of Mbuna! If you must add a peacock, try a Jake... or Lwanda.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Also, for future.. they make battery air pumps that help...
An airstone can help in this scenario... also, a power inverter is something handy to have on hand. It would allow you to power a filter for HOURS...
High temps, lack of oxygen, and lack of surface agitation.. oh, and ammonia buildup aren't a good mix! You're lucky you only lost 2.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the inputs, now I need to decide between a single breeding group, or an all male tank. I am going to hold off a few weeks to make sure the tank is cycled 100% once I add them I will be sure to put pictures up.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I don't think an all male tank will work in a 40G...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You'd have to be very careful with your stocking if you go all male in that size tank. You might pull it off with a few male peacocks, but you'd have to be very sure that they didn't closely resemble each other. I would stay away from the jake's completely...I have one that's taken over a 55G, and I'm not sure he wouldn't take over a tank twice that size.

I think your best bet is a single species breeder.

Kim

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think Kim is right.

Most peacock's wouldn't thrive in that environment, they need more room and the mbuna will get on top of them, trust me i'v made that mistake.

Single species breeder would be your best bet or even a 2 species tank ie:Demasoni/Yellow lab, Elongatus/Yellow lab, Cyno/Yellow lab or Elongatus

Possibilities

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
:idea: Breed something hard to come by in your area, sell the fry, then buy a bigger tank with the fry money :thumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good info, I was looking around at some online fish stores. kinda hard to pick the sex in most cases. I guess order 6 of each (when I decide) and weed out unwanted males.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.