Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Africans before and am not new to keeping this type of fish. But I just purchased some new fish and am not sure how they will get along in the tank. The LFS had them all in the same tanks and said they would all get along just fine. I think otherwise after doing some research. And to top it all off, today I found that my Frontosa was murdered!
I dont mind getting rid of the ones that are not compatable.

Heres the list of fish I bought:
Mel. Auratas x2
Bleekeri x1
Red Cap Peacocks x2
Frontosa x1 (had 2 but the other was murdered)
Moorii x2
Hap. Ahli x2
I have a 90 gal tank and I realize that they will eventually outgrow the tank but does anybody have any suggestions about which fish I should eliminate from this tank?
I'm leaning towards returning the Auratas.
Could you suggest which type I should replace this with?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'm no Hap/Peacock expert, but I'm pretty sure the Auratus will kill everything.
Curious as to what store you went to, let me know in a PM if you want.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Frontosa and auratus don't seem to be a fit tankmate-wise with your other fish, I would lose those.

I don't know what a bleekeri is.

Peacocks, moorii and fryeri would in general be a good mix. However, Malawi are not pairing fish, the male will kill the female if there is only one.

And fryeri/peacocks crossbreed. So maybe you want an all-male tank? One male each of the peacock, fryeri and moorii should work as a starting place.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can add to the unsuitability of the auratus. Before I explain, though, a veto. There are many 'miracle' tanks out there with fish that are happy, settled and non-violent, even when all the evidence elsewhere says that that setup should be impossible.

My auratus is going back to the LFS today. I had them for a week only. My other fish's fins are ragged, and I basically have one swimming fish, and three hiding ones. They are highly agressive. Quite simply, it might work (big MIGHT), but, if you're like me, within a week your other fishies will already be suffering substantially.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts