Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, *** heard various tetras and other fish can be used in shelly tanks...
water perameters aside...
would neon tetras and kuhli loaches work in a brevis or multi's tank?
or is there a good reason why i havent seen it done? :p

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most tetra's should do fine, I keep giant danios with my occies and they do great. Many probably dont do it just because they are "purists", and dont want to mix continents in a tank. I have no experience with kuhli loaches.

-Zen

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't think the kuhlis would work, shellies don't like sharing the bottom of the tank. I have neons and rasboras with my multies.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I have a group of rosy barbs that do wonderfully with Tangs. They are bone dumb, fast, and bullet proof: and they're pretty :fish:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats cool, i'll have to give it a go soon in my brevis tank!

any chance of a pic or 2 jago?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I agree the kuhli's won't work and I wouldn't think the neon's would either. They especially like soft water, and the kuhli's like to be in groups and burrow in the substrate...competition for same niche as shellies.

·
Registered
152 Posts
water in a tang tank would be too hard for them.
My neons did not get that memo.

Here's a neon getting yawned at. I like this shot.

The neon in this shot is the last of a school 12. Oddly I lost a bunch in a row. The las one to die was a month or so ago. He or she is a bunch of years old. There's now a small school of rasboras keeping him company.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
I agree the kuhli's won't work and I wouldn't think the neon's would either. They especially like soft water, and the kuhli's like to be in groups and burrow in the substrate...competition for same niche as shellies.
i have a 25 or 29gal that only has 1 pair of wussy brevis's in there with 4 danios, and bristlenose fry... i dont think the brevis pair would have that much of a problem with them...

+my australian water is ph7.5... sometimes 8, so all the petstores use this, neverthought it would harm them

nice pic jago :)
how long did the neos last? & how did they die?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The neons were 3 or 4 years old before they moved in with the multies. Most had already passed on in my plant tank which has the same hard water I use for my tangs. The last of a school of glow light tetras also was in with my multies but he was 6 or 7 years old. All my old community fish seem to have ended up with my multies. Oddly enough I've never found a dead body in that tank.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have a kuhli in with my multies and he does alright actually. He doesn't seem to eat the fry and they don't pick on him too much.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
awesome darkside :thumb:
you beat me to it! here i was thinking i was doing something new...

how many multies & what size tank?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I believe its an old 20 breeder with who knows how many multies in it. I also have a lone rainbow fish in there as well. They used to be in a 10 with 3 adults and anywhere from 10-30 fry and have always done alright.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts