Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i built a new stand for my 90 gallon tank last week so i decided on sunday to start the process i put my fish with some rocks in a big rubbermaid tub with water straight from the tank and hooked up air. i drained the tank and took out all the gravel (im redoing it with pool filter sand) and proceeded to clean move etc. i replaced about 30% of the original water while filling it with my hose water and didnt even think about treating the water. i let the filter and heater work for approximitlye an hour the temp was normail(82) and the fish were totally fine in the rubbermaid even without the filter and jsut the air stones.

i replaced all my fish in the tank as easily as possible and they seemed stressed but fine. 25 minutes later they were lookin worse gold sexa(looked like baby frontosa except gold instead of blue) cant remember the rest of his name but he was only 4 days old in my tank and the most expensive with the exception of my 3 tetrasephalis (look just like baby frontosa)

anyhow i freaked out and hauled ass to the store i treated my water but it was too late i killed my tank!
my auratus made it for a few hours after but ended up dead as well.
i lost 14 ciclhlids i now have 2 psuedos left 2 plecos and 5 little minnows for some reason they werent affected i have no idea why!

on the fish that died especially my 4 socolofi they had lost there color and turned white by there lungs and stomachs.

i cant believe i screwed up like that. im so mad about it i feel really bad for all my fish that had there lives cut short just because i bought them...

im gonna try again and will succeed this has never happened with my tanks before and it wont again.

any comments are welcome

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
We've all had that happen at some point. A tragid accident. The chlorine/chloramine in the tap water got them. They werer basically bleached to death. I have forgotten to put the Prime in a couple of time over the years and have lost some fish as well (for me it always seems to be the fry tanks). So sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi, sorry about your losses.

Did you test the water when the fish started to die ? I'm thinking they may not passed away from chlorine/chloramine intoxication directly as, maybe, the removal of the substrate and the untreated water WC killed enough bacteria to simply create a small nitrite or ammonia spike. Just a guess though.

I did untreated WCs with my tangs a few times, and they didn't seem to be much affected, though concentration is very variable over the year here i think (much higher during the summer).

Best of luck for the next try. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Hello...sorry to hear about your fish issues. It does make you sick to your guts when you have a pet in your care and you do somthing to harm them. I have done it and most others in the hobby have. My wife has a dog and i left chicken wing bones on the end table and she ate them. About an hour after she ate them i found the empty plate. I had to take the dog outside and pour peroxide in her mouth...after about 20 mins she through up the bones....watching her through up and have the dry heaves, i was so sad for her and felt very bad....now when iam done with bones i take them to the trash....good luck with your new fish and learn from your mistake..i no i did

Tekjunky

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the sympathy.
i think your all right about the water and tank conditions. i did it too fast and i changed too much at once with my tank and obviously the rusults didnt work with most of the fish. i probalby would've been fine if i left my substrate in and had jsut done the water the way i normally do.
this time i completly cleaned the tank rinsed it removed all the substrate and gravel to get ready for the sand. right now there is nothing but rocks wood and broken clay pot caves inside the tank(all the same decorations as my pics show)
i was gonna get rid of my socolofi's and psuedos anyhow and just keep the tretasephalis and the gold sex. whatever it was but i guess im just gonna finish settin the tank up tonight w/PFS and wait a few days to add new fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts