Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, My fluval 405 has been cycled since Jan, I 've had fish in there since then too. Long story short. I bought a AC110 and thought I seeded it properly but I guess I did not. The last week I have had a Bloom in my tank. I guess my AC110 is cycling, but my Fluval 405 if fully cycled so I thought it would be an easy jump. But I guessed wrong.

anyway I noticed last night that my ammonia levels went to .25 my PH is 7.2 I did a 25% W/c and of course have been adding Prime to DEtoxify. my question is. How long will this bloom and or mini cycle of my AC110 last? and should I perform small water changes every night for ammonia levels. Although sometimes it reads 0ppm and sometime it's .25 Nitrites have always been 0ppm and Nitrate kept between 5-10ppm. Its a 90 gallon.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes..it always runs :)

I was thinking about picking up some Stability too, to help the 110 what do you think?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Shouldn't be getting an ammonia reading if the tank is cycled with the 405 and all you did was add an AC110. Did you swap any filter media from 405-110?
Does your tap water contain chloramine? If it does, it may test positive for ammonia following a water change.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I thought I seeded it enough, but I guess I did not do it properly. I replaced my AC 50 with a 110 to add more filtration and I squeezed the filter into the bio of the 110..but still got a bloom. But it was starting to cloud up before I actually took the 50 off. So i'm not really sure why it happen. I did my first filter maintenence on my fluval on feb 21, My tank cycled in jan, I added my fish then did maintenece 6 weeks after, maybe it was too soon and the BB was still fragile (if that's possible) I ordered the 110 to replaced the 50..and boom! Now my new filter is cycling. Maybe I should of waited longer for the fluval before I did any maintence, but all I did was just squeeze out filter pads in tank water, I never touched the ceramic bio rings. IDK, all I know is that i've got this Bloom, my water parameters after my fluval was cycled were always perfect. it was always 0 amm 0 nitrites and 5- 10ppm Nitrates. But now i'm getting the bloom with a slight ammonia reading. this morning it was .25, and when I cam home from work last night it was .25, but when I tested it again a few hours later last nite it read 0 always 0ppm for Nitrites though.

I've always used Prime for every water change i've done. I was doing 2 18- 25% water changes a week before this happen. Maybe I was doing to many water changes and stressing out BB. I was only doing it because I have an Oscar and I know how meesy they are and I wanted to keep Nitrates low. ( which I was, it never rose above 20ppm)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
No idea why you'd get a bloom other than it sounds like squeezing your old media released a lot of gunk that was previously somehow protected from exposure to the water. New filters don't need to be seeded or to "cycle" like the first filter does if you've got a cycled filter on the tank. The bacteria will colonize it over time and the existing filter will carry the workload until then.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
exactly, that's what I thought...who knows...something happen and now I have this bloom. My 110 is definitely cycling..the media is all brand new. was going to add stability to speed things up a bit, think that will help?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
No, your filter is not cycling. It's establishing a bacteria colony. Cycling refers as much to the bacterial colony developing as it does to the peaks and falls of ammonia, nitrite, and then the rise of nitrate. This won't ever happen in a tank with a healthy bacteria colony (which yours should have from your existing filter) as long as you're not adding a ridiculous amount of bioload to the tank at once...

Stability won't speed anything up, but it'll potentially reduce the hazardous effects of your ammonia.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm understocked and over filtrated and I do not over feed. I don't know why this happen. How long can this last do you think? I am using Prime to any ammonia spike will not be toxic. I had a healthy BB since Jan 7th...what could of gone wrong.??? I must have disturbed the BB when I did my 1st filter maintenece on the 405. Thats is the only thing I could think of. That when I "cleaned" my filter the BB was not strong enough, even though all I did was squeez filter pads into tank water and cleaned them out with it.

Although I did replace some filter floss with other filter material, but I did not replace all of it, that could of killed off enough BB that made this happen. I assume my BB was not strong enough yet and when I took out filter floss to replace with new filter floss I created this Bloom a few weeks later. Could that be it?

BTW If I do add some stability in there can I pour it right into the ceramic rings in my HOB? or should I add it in the tank directly. Is there a proper way of doing it? or is it better to add it in the Bio media directly

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I really doubt that a filter cleaning would've done that, too... And I'm just as lost as you because of this. Something caused your bacteria to crash, though. Either that or your test kit went kaput. Have you checked with a different test kit?

It's possible that your tank will have to completely recycle, in which case, daily water changes to keep the ammonia between .25-.5 (at the most) until it drops to zero, same with nitrite...

Don't know about Stability. I don't use it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well some good news, tested for ammonia when i got home from work and it was 0ppm and nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 10-20ppm

and it looks like the bloom is starting dissapear. Not as cloudy as it was yeaterday. But I will continue to test daily, My BB is there and it's good, i've only had 2 small ammonia spikes and only to .25...IDK, it will eventually end when the bacteria settle and find there home, most likely in my ac 110.

will keep you posted. I actually spoke with Seachem and asked about stability, 1 rep told me to add it to tank, the other rep when I called again to ask a question said no need to add it because there already is bacteria. Only add if after bloom i have a much higher spike then .25 if the BB can't handle the load. So I did not bother to pick any up. i'll keep you posted

I take that back, just tested again and now it read .25- .50 doing 15% water change.. no nirtrites though. I must be going through a mini cycle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
Wait, how far apart were the 0ppm and .25-.5ppm tests?
about 2 hours...tested early this morning was .25 came home from work at 6:30pm 0ppm tested again at 8:30pm .25-.50 performed water change

I did dose tank with Prime this morning 8ML so any ammonia is non toxic for the next 24-48 hours

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.