Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick about it, my most prized pocession and showcase cichlid my 3yr old male 6inch GT randomly dies two days ago.

The issue I'm thinking is the shock from a tank move (my tank sprang a leak). I moved him and everything else temporarily into my 20gal until I finished the resealing process for my 55. I used the water leaking from the broken aquarium to house them in to reduce some of the stress. I noticed him acting a bit weird (like taking a sub-dominant role to fish smaller than him). About five hours after the move I noticed the aquarium getting a thick murky cloud and all the fish rushing to the top to "breathe" so I changed the filters and went to sleep.

He was the only one dead the next morning....
Any suggestions on what happened??

P.S. I have put them back into their original aquarium...and the cloud is back

Everything in the aquarium is natural. (Sand, Rocks, and plants)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The beneficial bacteria mostly resides in your filters, not in the water. It sounds like the bacteria died when you changed your filters and you had an ammonia spike. Do you use prime or another dechlorinator that detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, etc? If not, I would get some ASAP. It sounds like your tank is cycling again. If you have any other tanks with established filters, getting some media from those and putting it in your existing filters on this tank will help also. Sorry about your fish. :(

·
Registered
453 Posts
Moving everything from one tank to other probably released a bunch of organics and nutrients that caused a bacterial bloom which then caused an oxygen problem (all the fish at the surface).

Murphy's Law of fishkeeping then took over and your most prized fish died from lack of oxygen.

A bacteria bloom can drop the oxygen level in the water to really low levels.

The remedy to this - when you see cloudy water and fish at the surface:
1) get more aeration going asap
2) change water - get the nutrients and the blooming bacteria out of the system
3) when changing water try to get as much debris etc out of the system

It is better to risk losing some nitrifiers then letting organics feed the bacteria that are blooming (the heterotrophs) causing the oxygen to crash.

Sorry to read about your fish

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. Thanks for all the advice, I can't get him back, but two days later and everything is back to normal.

I bought a stablizer, changed 50% of the water, supplied more live plants and hooked my air pump back up.

Now I have my 1yr old JD (I raised from an egg) dominating the tank, so I expect him to grow faster now...he's been stunted at 2.5 inches for some odd reason, but has the colors of a full grown male (same for his 4 siblings)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts