Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paint or Paper
Paint3191.18%
Paper38.82%

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want my background to be black but not sure if i should paint the tank or use the background paper stuff.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Paint is permanent, but it goes on solid and looks better. If you know for a fact you won't change your mind, paint is the way to go.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What paint would you recommend? just a normal glossy roll-on paint?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have not painted one before but there was a thread several days ago where a few members seemed to think that latex paint is one of the best options.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Anything trying to stick to glass can't be roll paint for a few months down the road it will peel off/chip off. Usually spray painting it works.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Use latex paint. Doesnt really matter if its glossy or not. It all looks glossy behind the glass. I think last time i used flat. 3 coats is good. Make sure you let each coat dry before adding the next (if not it will run). I used a roller but i'm sure a paint brush would work just as good. When your done cut a piece of cardboard the size of the back of your tank. Tape this to the plastic trim on your tank to protect the back from scratches. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your help guys looks like im going to paint it....well once i get a tank. i will be getting it this week im just trying to have everything planned out for when im ready to assemble it. I went down to my creek today to collect rocks to stack in my tank. they are currently sitting in bleach water. Once my tank stand arrives in the mail ill be getting pictures of my process to get help and opinions. Im glad i have found this forum. Im loving all the help everyone is giving.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Painting the glass is not permanent a razor blade will remove it fairly easy down the road if needed. I also painted the back of a large tank before (didn't want to carry it back outside to spray) using a roller and the paint never peeled or clipped off.

I vote paint.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yup, paint gets my vote. I used a satin finish latex black paint (just whatever I had laying around) applied with a roller and it's been about 10 months with no peeling or chipping. As stated previously just do a few coats (not too thick) and be sure to let it dry completely between coats.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Or you could just make a 3D background :) This wins my vote just be sure to post up pics of it complete! :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
I used spray paint, worked pretty good, I have some pin holes showing now after about 6 months - next time I'm using vinyl decal material!

·
Registered
50 Posts
dillon0990 said:
I want my background to be black but not sure if i should paint the tank or use the background paper stuff.
If you going to paint the back of your aquarium then once it dries put some of that blue painters tape on the back and you do not have to worry about the paint chipping.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats a good idea. Now if only the stand i ordered would arrive!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.