Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i know i am new and most folks dont know me but i am a HUGE DIY guy.. some times i build things i dont need just to build them LOL.... with my new tank i am going to want a good back ground adn i do not want to use concrete as i have never been successful with it in relation to tanks. that said i have been lurking and hunting around and found some plastic rocks used for paving like in a back yard... they look like slate and are only 1inch deep so even if i mount them to say egg crate (for ease of removal for cleaning etc) it will only take up 1.5 inches of my tank depth!!! this is great IMO... one flaw that i am having a hard time working out - the space between the "rocks" ... a few options come to mind on how to fill these one is to fill with silicon and jamb in a bunch of substrate and have some continuity in the tank. another idea was to fill with silicon and paint it with a gray but i worry that it will look more like a sunken wall than a somewhat natural looking structure...... any ideas????
and as for attaching the "rocks" i was thinking drill small holes in the supports in the back of them and zip tieing them to the egg crate....

·
Registered
123 Posts
How big/heavy are the rocks? I know egg crate can become pretty brittle over time. Might try to add some silicone to help support them.

As far as filling in the space between - you could spraypaint the eggcrate black (believe Krylon Fusion is ok for inside the tank based on several posts on this website) and see how that looks.

Your idea of covering it in silicone and then topping it with gravel is good.

Not sure what the rocks look like but you could silicone some plants on to the egg crate to fill the spaces.

Good luck and post some pics!

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
rchickering said:
Your idea of covering it in silicone and then topping it with gravel is good.
I coated some saucers with silicone and rolled them in substrate. Looked good at first but did not last long term, the substrate has mostly come off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they look like real slate and are about 20"x16" and 1"deep!!! saves major space the issue is mostly they dont have them in stock online yet.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Looks like home depot has these for sale online. You could buy more than you need and overlap them, giving it a more 3-d effect. One thing to consider, a major benefit of thicker backgrounds is the ability to hide equipment behind them. Any way you could put your heaters etc. behind this?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you worked it out but the idea was to move heaters etc to the sump and have the back ground not take up as much space.... the only ones online are the big 8 piece deals and i would only need the 4 piece ones... i may just go with real slate as i found a bunch near by for free !!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi bearwithfish, I know you from the "other" forum. I find this idea very interesting and can't wait to see how it pans out. Make sure if you do it to post lots of pics. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heyyy good to see you......

so far everything is in the planning and see whats available stages ... and as you do know me you know i am huge on pix so all in time LOL...

my main issue is i want a good looking back ground with out using concrete as stated above every time i try to use concrete i have major issues and can not get them solved enough to put it in my tanks....

·
Registered
441 Posts
why not silicon the plastic rocks to the glass and paint the back of the tank. the outside of course.

have you tried drylok instead of cement? It works much in the same way with more ease of use.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the tank is painted at this point and the silicon wont bond with plastic well .. at this moment i am considering leaving it alone for now and buying an insert type later down the road......

·
Registered
441 Posts
bearwithfish said:
the tank is painted at this point and the silicon wont bond with plastic well .. at this moment i am considering leaving it alone for now and buying an insert type later down the road......
ok maybe an epoxy instead of silicon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts