Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 240g acrylic tank. The background is blue ( as in the acrylic is molded blue, not clear). I want to change it to a black background. I was thinking of attaching some type of type of thin black plastic/acrylic sheet with silicone to the inside of the tank. Anyone ever heard of painting the inside back pane? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I had the same problem with my acrylic tank as well; the same "deep sea" blue color, yuck! Actually, (I don't if it's going to help you much), I ended up installing a 3-D rocky background in the tank. I don't see any problem attaching a thin black sheet of acrylic though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those 3d backgrounds are very cool, and would actually be my first choice. But they are also very expensive, especially for big tanks. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You're welcome.
I have a 150 gal. and I'm picky about the backgrounds, so I made my own.
Have you thought about a DIY Styrofoam/drylok background? :wink:

Also, you probably could just spray paint the back of the tank. -I've never done it but I've heard Krylon is safe; just make sure to allow it to cure.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The thin acrylic would work, but I've heard that silicone doesn't adhere to acrylic very well. I'd be afraid it'd start coming loose a year or so in. You can instead glue it down with acrylic glue. Comes in a tube and you wouldn't need much. The only thing to realize is that it'll never come off. I guess if you wanted to change the color again, you'd add another layer.

I'd probably make a background. I think you'll be happier with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.