Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to slink around on these boards a few years ago. Ended up with a 55 gallon with about 10 assorted Cichlids, and eventually an uninformed purchase of a bumblebee ended up the sole survivor. There can be only one apparently.

First, many thanks to this board for the wealth of information and discussion to peruse.

Anywho, I've recently purchased a used 75 gallon with stand. The tank does not have a frame and is center braced across the top with both a metal brace and glass. It may have had a trim added after manufacture/construction, indicated by extra silicone around the bottom pane of the tank. I've leak tested it for about 4 days, no discernible leaks and a very slight bow, maybe 1/64 to 1/32 inch, also possibly human error in measurement. The silicone looks to be in good condition.

Question...should I put something under this tank (apparently a somewhat debatable topic)? I have some thin underlayment wood I could use, or buy some yoga mat or whatever and put it over the underlayment. The stand is level, as near as I can tell with a 2 foot bubble level.

Tank1.jpg

Tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

The stand has been significantly reinforced for my own peace of mind, and painted to my wifes tastes. I will build a canopy as soon as I find matching trim, and will add simple glass lids over the actual tank. I may go with some low cost 3D PU background.

I have a ..... SunSun 704B (AquaTop CF500UV, others ad nauseam). By the time the tank cycles I will have another canister as backup/extra filtration. I intend to use Seachem Matrix and Purigen, probably with pinky filter media and maybe polyfill. And a prefilter over the intake.
And will buy...
Hydor ETH 300 inline heater. Will add the temp sensor cutoff later (rainbird or something?)
Beamswork LED lighting
Argonite or pool filter sand depending on funds
Either Slate, lava rock, or a similar readily available landscape rock. I like being able to create canyons with larger vertical rocks. Of course scrubbed and almost boiled.

Stocking with labidochromis caeruleus, pseudotropheus acei, and Lodotropheus Sprengerae (rusty).

I intend to take pictures and collect information on things to document my great success or SPECTACULAR failure. Maybe I'll end up getting new flooring...

·
Registered
55 Posts
The best way to level a tank is by putting a few inches of water in it. If all four corners have the same depth of water, it's level. I am a bit obsessive so I use a metal scale to measure, but really with that trim around the bottom, you'll know if it isn't level just by looking. The closer your water level is to that trim the easier it is to see.

That tank looks a little "modified". Don't take this the wrong way, but are sure that will hold water long term? I am no engineer, but if it had frames on it and they have been removed, that's bad. Did the previous owner use it as an aquarium in it's current state? Was there a frame on the bottom?

I know you said you tested it, but everything works until it doesn't... I would hate for you to flood your house because a panel blew out :(
I am just concerned buddy, not trying to knock your stuff. My tank is used as well and I think my stand is almost just like yours, just a different size.

Can some other guys offer some advice here? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
Welcome!!

Just a guess but from the pics it does appear that the plastic trim was removed from the top because of the lingering residue that looks like silicone so will assume the bottom was also. The brace seems home made judging by the appearance. I have zero experience with a rim less tank so can't advise honestly.

Is the brace installed between the front and back panels or is it on top of them? Also, is the brace the same thickness glass as the tank glass? What is the thickness of either glass?

I would opt for installing 1/4" plywood under the tank since it was de-rimmed just because! Paint the plywood, including edges prior to installation to help reduce water damage and choose a color that would be similar to the substrate you will be using.

You could also purchase new plastic trim for the top and bottom if you are concerned with the safety factor and that would also allow you to use glass canopies that sit flush on the top.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have access to a 75 gallon frame that I will paint and silicone on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts