Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, after 3 years of trying a planted tank (with some success), I'm going back to my bread and butter, what I love the most, cichlids! Got my 75 standard out of storage, cleaned her up, did a water test, filled her and started the fishless cycle! This will be my first time trying it with ammonia, so as I am a bit nervous about it, the great article in the library here has eased some of that tension. I'm trying out an API Filstar XP this time, so far so good, love the priming method, hate the powder blue intake tube :lol: Secondary filter to start is a very noisy AC 110, will most likely be replaced. Then a pair of 800 gph wave makers for when poop happens.

Well, please wish me luck, good to be back. :fish:

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
Welcome back!!

I've used the Fish-less cycling method for most of my new tank set ups and enjoyed the success of the procedure. 1st time was concerning to go through the process but overall I was extremely happy with the results.

An option for the powder blue intake tube is to spray paint it black. I've used Krylon Fusion for plastic spray paint in black and it has worked great for me. It does take some prep to lightly sand the plastic, wipe off particles and a couple coats of spray paint according to directions and a couple days to thoroughly dry so you may want to consider it so early in the cycling process.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Deeda! Great to be back and good to see you on here.

Yeah, as far as the cycling goes, I'm sure it will be ok once it completes as I have 2 liters of Matrix spread out, mostly in the canister. I'm just not too sure where and when to order my peacocks from once it completes. There's a couple of local breeders then there's the online shipping.... then there's the work schedule :?

I'm actually now getting used to the blue intake, but I'm sure I'll get picky when all is said and done, order a new tube and paint it up. :lol:

So, can anybody tell me, should I throw a bag of crushed coral in a filter bag to regulate my ph, or just go the additive route? I've had pretty good success with heath and coloration in the past, but this time I wanna do it right.

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
What are your tap water parameters both immediately from the tap and after a 24 hour 'rest' period?

Can you also test for GH and KH? The relationship between pH and KH is the determining factor in whether you need to buffer the tank. I'd try and avoid having to mess with adjusting the parameters if possible as stable parameters are better and so much less work.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deeda said:
What are your tap water parameters both immediately from the tap and after a 24 hour 'rest' period?

Can you also test for GH and KH? The relationship between pH and KH is the determining factor in whether you need to buffer the tank. I'd try and avoid having to mess with adjusting the parameters if possible as stable parameters are better and so much less work.
I can test and I will, but I hear ya there. Water was good last time around so I'll stick with what works.

Deeda, or whomever else can, please let me know your top 2 or 3 online cichlid dealers please. I haven't a clue. I'm liking this Imperial place, but I'd love some feed back. Thanks...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Belair62 said:
Chicago water is pretty good stuff. I did the fishless cycle on my 75.it did take 30 days or so.
Sure is hometeam. How's that new tank of yours doing?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fish_gazer said:
Filet O Fish said:
Hey guys, after 3 years of trying a planted tank (with some success)....
So what happened with your planted tank? Got any pics?
Oh man, long story.....here's the Cliff's notes....

-started with a 75g
-had cichlids everything was great
-had a baby girl, so far so good...
-she turned into a f#@%ing 2 year old....
-figured since the plants "use all of the bad fish stuff", that I'd ditch the cichlids for something "low maintenance"
-got a HUGE algae problem
-ditched the 75g for a 20g
-got a huge algae problem
-said "screw it" I'm going back to what I love

Here: even though I'm embarrassed :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Belair62 said:
Fantastic so far. Females holding. Males fighting for the last female. Petros trying to sort it out again. Fun stuff.
I saw it in the other thread, congrats! We'd love to see some pics :thumb:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ha ! 2 year olds...those were the days ! Here is my setup but it's a work in progress. I dont want to mess with it for a month or so since its a brand new setup with only 45 days on the filtration. I put an old powerhead in the corner to polish a little poo out for now. Hard to take pocs. These Trophs just do not slow down until I shut the lights off !

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great!

Belair62 said:
Disregard the volleyball game on the TV lolol.
Nope.... thank you for that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New rocks!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Belair. Yeah, as you all saw in the first pic had some pretty decent rock. While we were shopping for pavers at the landscaping store, I happened to see these, couldn't pass them up. 29c a pound was a no brainer. Loving the quartz.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty fish! I am actually going Malawi peacocks and haps. Since this is my second whirl around, I've gotten pretty a. retentive and am sticking to one lake. I do appreciate the offer though. What's going on with her? Tropheus too nutzo?

Oh, Deeda, if you're still following here, my cycling water after 5 days tested out to a sweet 8.2ish. Couldn't be happier.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.