Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back into the hobby after moving a few years ago. I have a 125 gallon tank that is currently on a fishless cycle. The plan is to over stock it with a mix of all male Africans mostly peacocks. I have 2 emperor 400s and a AC110 that I've had in storage since the move(all new media). So what's the realistic stocking possibilities with what I have on hand? Will this be sufficient to handle the bio load? Since shelling out the extra dough for a canister filter is out of the question at this time. Also I have a hygger wave maker to help with circulation. Any help would would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would put a minimum of 120 lbs. of substrate in this tank. The filters would be for mechanical filtration, circulation and surface agitation. I wouldn't waist my time putting bio-media in these filters, that's what the substrate is for. I would use the wave maker for extra circulation and surface agitation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply that's exactly what I have setup at the moment exactly 120lbs of argonite Cichlid mix and the wave maker is at top of tank creating surface agitation to hopefully aid in bacteria growth while cycling. My main concern is when I'm cycled and ready to stock is this going to be enough to handle 20-25 cichlids? Again thank you BlueSunshine for the quick response.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have about 20 fish now in a 55 gallon and everyone seems pretty happy. Using all the flow that's listed, it's numbers are higher per hour than my two cascade canisters. So just based on flow rates, looks like it would work.

I just can't imagine using three HOB filters on one tank, would probably look pretty messy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I agree it doesn't look as good as I would like with the HOBs. At the moment it's all I could swing since I had them in storage(new baby on the way so pinching pennies at the moment) in the next 3-4 months will be able to get a FX4 or a FX6 and probably run 2 HOBs. Just want everything stocked before kid comes so wife and baby have something to look at besides my ugly mug. Just looking for a temporary fix and advice on if this would work in the meantime for over stocking the tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Another viewpoint. Keep substrate under 1 inch in depth. HOB filters are fine, but I would use the media that comes with them.

Regardless of filtration, I like 18 cichlids that mature six inches or less in a 72" tank when doing all-male. That is a good level of overstocking. Saves $$ too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thanks guys I appreciate all the advice and suggestions I can get. I'm not exactly a novice but not close to a expert at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts