Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 55 gallon tank with 9 African cichlids in it, 3 of which are Jewels. Two of those Jewel have built themselves an awesome cave and have had babies 3 times now.. Each time of course the babies get picked off one by one by the other fish as they become braver and braver..

I know they have some sort of net thing you can buy to seperate out the tank, but i'm so broke right now i can't even afford to pay attention.. is there some other solution anyone can think of that might help a few of these buggers to survive? maybe a homemade seperator? i swear i'm about to put some nylons over pvp pipe or something and shove it in there! haha =]

Thanks in advance for any ideas

·
Registered
625 Posts
Without building anything, what about rearranging your rock work to include very tiny, fry sized crevices between them?

If I have a larger bully fish I try to design escape tunnels that only the fish he usually is picking on can fit through. It might take them a while, but they usually figure out the safe zones.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Your cheapest bet will be the rocks. If you get some that are not totally flat but "bumpy" on the bottom, some of the fry will find this crack where they can hide out and not get sucked out by the larger. Some fish are better at this and understand, others don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.