Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, firstly I’m going to apologise for the lengthy rambling that this post has and also if I get anything mixed up and sounding stupid- anyway 😳 moving on to the reason for the post!
So about 10 days ago one night I was just feeding my fish and noticed a lot of mess over one side of the tank, anyway I go to have a look and I see lots of baby fish 🐠, must have just hatched, I’m going to be honest with all of you I had no intension of breeding, I didn’t know these two would do the deed nor did I want it but anyway it did, my blue tiger parrot and my blood red parrot have produced offspring, the blue tiger (dad) has done a fantastic job of keeping all of them alive, I believe not many or none have died yet, he fights off geophegus sveni wild, two biggish t bars, corydora and plecos, now I got told by two local aquatic shops to leave them in the tank because moving them would probably kill them but apparently I will loose lots anyway, I’m confused because after 10 days they are looking great, and still lots of them, now at first I was horrified but now I’m really excited and really want to help them grow and live, how long left have I got till I can stop worrying???

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Hello.
And welcome to Cichlid Forum! :)
-
So okay then, your Convict Cichlid (Blue Tiger/Polar Morph) and that Red Blood Parrot spawned? Great! And now you have a big batch of hybrid Cichlids in your tank. Might be interesting at least to see what they look like when those babies reach adult size I suppose....
And no worries. If the babies are still in there after 10 days? They should grow out just fine at this point. The danger time was when they were eggs or just after hatching out. Definitely sounds like your male Convict is taking care of the fry-rearing business in there.
And while yes, it's very cool to get that first batch of babies and all. But trust me, once started in your tank? Those two are probably not gonna stop spawning. You may want to consider pulling the male out or possibly replacing him with a female Convict or something, to keep them from spawning again.
And again.
And again.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts